cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mimi7777
Beginner
Message 1 of 3

Re: Master Socket and Lightning - who pays?

Go to solution

Hi,

I am very sorry for posting on old post but was not sure how to start a new subject.

We have a BT line which has only been used for connecting the alarm box to the monitoring centre.

Is it possible the telephone line to be still working succesffully (I plugged a phone aparatus to check and it is working and it is) after a power surge through the telephone line? The alarm panel still sends signals to the monitoring centre- but we are unable to set the alarm from our battery powered handsets. The alarm company engineer says : our alarm box is corrupted due to a storm or lightning trough the telephone line. Is this possible while the telephone line is still working? Although the alarm box still sends signal to the monitoring centre as usual  he told us that the alarm box has to be replaced? Where is the logic?

Any advice is welcome.

Do I need to request A BT engineer to come and check the telephone line , can an engineer find out if there was a power surge through the telephone line? Although I don't believe I have to proof to the alarm company anything - they have to proof what they say before they charge me for a new panel but I would like to be prepared just in case.

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
iniltous
Guru
Message 2 of 3

Go to solution

If you request an Openreach visit on a phoneline that's working, you will probably be charged for an unneccesarry visit, the equipment you have plugged into the phoneline is your or the supplier of that equipment responsibility, not Openreach, if you unplug the 'faulty' equipment , and plug in an ordinary (preferably wired) landline phone and it works, that proves  what OR are responsible for is OK, and it sounds as though you have done this already.

Is it possible a lightning strike could knock out some part of the alarm  but not affect the phoneline itself ?, it doesn't sound likely but who knows, a direct lightning strike capable of destroying the equipment plugged into the phoneline would normally also destroy the socket itself, and leave a scorch mark on the wall as well, the effects of an indirect strike that induces a higher than normal voltage, but short of being 'destructive' should be designed into the equipment so as not to be 'terminal'  (surge protection etc) especially if that equipment is designed to be plugged into a phone line.

It does sound 'dodgy' that the phone line works, the alarm apparently works, the only thing that doesn't work is the ability to set the alarm from your handset, the alarm company are saying you need a new alarm panel, but it was a lightning strike that caused the failure, it sounds to me like it's just failed , and they are trying to 'blame' the failure on something that's difficult to prove or disprove.

If your line is delivered overhead by a series of 10 or more telegraph poles , and you have had recent lightning strikes near by , its possible it may have been a voltage surge , but you are in the realms of an 'act of God' if trying to apportion 'blame', ultimately it will be either you or the alarm company that pay to replace the alarm panel (if that's what's needed) by trying to involve OR you may get an unwanted extra 'bill' from your line rental provider when OR bill them for a maintenance visit that isn't 'valid'.

Devon_Dave
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 3

Go to solution
Hi. A previous reply to a similar question was that you need to contact your CP.
Have you had conversation with them over this?
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings