cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
greenjelly23
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Re: Maybe joining BT, can I use an Apple Time Capsule with the BT hub?

Stevebrass, Licquorice and all,

I have been through a number of threads on this topic - but unfortunately am still not sure what exactly the ideal config is. If i may explain what I am looking for:

- I used to be on virgin media for many years, and my setup was perfected on that over time

- i put the virgin media router in "bridge" mode, and connected an ethernet cable from Virgin Media router to the WAN port on my time capsule.

- My timecapsule did all DNS, wireless etc

- i also had a ethernet go from the TC to a switch, and from the switch I had various ethernet cables going to different corners and floors in my house with 2 airport express connected at the other end. The airport express had the same wifi ssid and password as my TC, so i had coverage all over the house and garden, as well as wired connection to my imac.

Due to various reasons, I had to migrate to BT recently. It is just day one but I am beginning to realize I should have done a lot more research on the setup!

- As explained on multiple threads, the BT SmartHub does not have a "bridge" mode

- Based on various threads, I have an ethernet going from my Smarthub to my TC WAN port. In my TC settings, I have:

Internet tab -> Connect using PPPoE

Account Name: bthomehub@btbroadbandcom

Password: BT

Internet Options -> PPPoE connection set to Always On

Configure IPv6 set to Link-local only (Not automatically or manually - it was originally set to automatically)

The SSID the TC broadcasts on is different to the SSID of the BT Smarthub.

The TC still shows AMBER light. However, the SSID for the TC works! I am able to connect to the internet, but for some reason the speed I get is roughly half the speed I get when I connect directly to the SmartHub SSID.

In Airport Utility, the TC shows multiple errors such as:

No DNS Servers

PPPoE Server (this TC is set to connect over PPPoE but no PPPoE server can be found, please check your PPPoE settings with your provider blah blah) (in spite of this error, I am clearly getting internet through the TC wifi settings).

Ideally, i would like to mirror where my old setup where the BT Smarthub would be just a modem, and the TC/Airport Express/Switch with ethernet cables does all the wifi and wired "internetting" I need!

1) is the only way to accomplish this using another Modem such as the TP Link VR900? (i read so on some threads)

2) Do these other modems have a "bridge" mode which would allow me to replicate the setup I used to have with virgin media?

3) Anybody here know why i am able to get an internet connection via my TC wifi settings, although the TC shows AMBER?

Anybody have any idea why the TC wifi settings would be half the speed of the BT Smarthub?

4) Will the BT TV work with another modem such as the TP LINK VR 900? or would that impact what channels I can access?

i get the feeling this is all obvious to some of the members of this thread! Would appreciate any help and advice - and ideally avoid buying another modem but if that is the only way to achieve the ideal setup then I will!

Thanks all.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Welcome to this user forum.

I have moved your post to this new thread, so you can get personal help from the community, so please watch this thread for updates.

You were posting on an old thread, and were unlikely to get any reply.

None of the BT Home hubs can operate in modem mode, so you would have to use a separate VDSL modem, like the Openreach one.

The VR900  is a modem/router, just like the cheaper TD-W9970.

There is some information about an Airport Extreme, that may help, it refers to a different home hub, but it should be the same with another home hub.

Using an Apple Airport Extreme with the home hub 3

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 4

The simplest option is to buy an HG612 Huawei Openreach modem from the well known auction site. Alternatively, a new Draytek 130 modem
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

@licquorice wrote:
The simplest option is to buy an HG612 Huawei Openreach modem from the well known auction site. Alternatively, a new Draytek 130 modem

That Draytek 130 modem is a very expensive solution, compared with a secondhand HG612.

0 Ratings