cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bootloop
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Re: No internet connection with Smart hub or Bt Hub 5

Spent 200 minutes on my mobile over 4 calls and as many line tests. Engineer came out and said line is fine you need a new hub, new hub arrived this morning and the same issue. Orange flashing or solid light. Broadband disconnected is the only message I get on the router. Ridiculous support, we moved our account to new house, over a week with no internet. Is this what you pay £50 a month for - support service is the worse I have ever encountered.
0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Welcome to this customer to customer forum.

Which one of these matches your master phone socket?

nte.jpg or oldnte.jpgor adslface.jpg ornewnte.jpg

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

Also make sure that the phone  number that is announced, matches the number BT said you would get.

0 Ratings
bootloop
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

The 4th image with open reach over the top, but with only 1 port. There is an engineers port inside the socket. I tried both of these. I don't have a land-line phone so can't test that. I would imagine the engineer did when he was here.
0 Ratings
bootloop
Beginner
Message 4 of 9

Add another note, the support person told me it was a hub 4, the next person said they would send out a hub 5 - I now have 2 routers exactly the same. After googling they look like the newest BT routers.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

@bootloop wrote:
The 4th image with open reach over the top, but with only 1 port. There is an engineers port inside the socket. I tried both of these. I don't have a land-line phone so can't test that. I would imagine the engineer did when he was here.

A landline phone is essential, and a basic one costs less then £5. Useful in an emergency as well.

Without one, you risk a £130 charge, as the fault could be within your own wiring.

There is an explanation on this post, which also applies to Infinity.

https://community.bt.com/t5/ADSL-Copper-Broadband-Speed/No-Internet-and-horrible-bt-customer-service...

If the line is noisy, then reporting it as a noisy phone line will get the problem fixed much quicker. Reporting a broadband issue, is going to take a long time.

If you have BT Infinity, then only a home hub 5 or home hub 6 can be used on new installations.

Please connect things up as shown below, and see if you get dial tone, and a broadband connection.

test_socket.jpg

0 Ratings
bootloop
Beginner
Message 6 of 9

Yes that's the port I have. I've since dug a phone out of the garage and the line is working fine. No noise, crackle it anything. I haven't tested it in the engineer port add I didn't see the need now. I called again today and an engineer should be here between 9 & 1 tomorrow.

So it seems the hardware is not the issue or the line. I'll report back after the visit.
0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
Message 7 of 9

8-1 or 1-6 there's no 9-1. Just so you know.Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
bootloop
Beginner
Message 8 of 9

He's been here and is now off to check the exchange. The speed test was 40/10 which he said indicates a test port that hasn't been configured. Which would explain why everything else apart from the authentication is working.
0 Ratings
Rach111
Contributor
Message 9 of 9

Perhaps you have the same problem I had? Physical Line fine but some sort of authentication issue. They finally managed to fix it for me after 18 days without internet. My thread is here in case it helps you (or anyone else looking for info on similar problems): 

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Speed-Connection/No-internet-connection-and-confusing-event-...

0 Ratings