cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
xmarksthespot
Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Re: Offer of BT Infinity 2 - Would I benefit

Of course, it begs the question as to why you were even offered Inifinty 2 in the first instance! Especially since you no doubt would be paying more but getting nothing new/better.

Today, when I signed into MyBT I too got an Inifinty 2 offer (yet when I took out Inifinty 1 a month ago, Infinity 1 speed was capped, and remains so). The reality is that the Infintiy 2 "offer" is actually a a non-offer (in effect, pay £3 more per month for no change).

Not only that but the offer is prefaced with the uusual marketing nonesense: "As a thank you for being with us here are some special offers for you...."

It irritates me that BT can't get their act together and the net result is to waste customers' time on stuff like this. It's tantamount to mis-selling. So let's see how they respiond to my complaint about invalid offers and let's see what valid offer they put on the table if they really want to thank me. 

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

The emails are generic and are sent out to all BT customers.

It is not all about an increase in speed but that is all that most people assume it is about. Infinity 2 includes other products that some people might want, such as "free"  antivirus for more devices and more "free" cloud storage etc.

As always, buyer beware and check out any offer to see if you would personally benefit from it.

0 Ratings
xmarksthespot
Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Just to reiterate @gg30340, my "offer" was not an email. It was accessed via my MyBT account and specifically made reference to the fact I was already on Infinty 1 (which for me is capped at 31Mb). While I am obviously not the only person to receive a similar offer, the point I am making is that BT are offering me something they cannot fully deliver.

Now, many of us get offers from various walks of life that aren't applicable or appropriate, but given that BT are already my broadband supplier and given that BT know which package I'm on and its limitations then them making offers available that cannot be fulfilled is - at best - simply timewasting. Furthermore, the BT website even lets you go ahead and complete the order, which could then easily be interpreted as mis-selling. This would no doubt be followed by much time spent by both sides trying to sort out the mess.

The reality @gg30340is that it shouldn't even get to the "buyer beware" stage. The offer shouldn't be made by BT in the first instance.

It doesn't help anyone when time is spent enquiring about an offer that turns out not to be valid. It wastes the time of the enquirer and it wastes the time of the call centre agent who could be focusing on enquiries from other customers.

Indeed when I called BT about the "offer", there was a huge degree of embarrassment at their end (and curiously no mention or attempted defence by them by trotting out details of all the other wonderful non-speed-related virtues of Infiinty 2)

Sadly, as is often the case, one part of BT often doesn't know what another is doing and no one takes responsibility to fix the cause of the problem.

The case is now with ofgem who are already making sympathetic noises. BT beware.

0 Ratings
xmarksthespot
Contributor
Message 4 of 10

Sorry, for ofgem, read ofcom.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 10

My mistake for saying emails, I should also have said the offers on each customer's MyBT as well as the emails and texts that are sent out are generic.

As it is, you can get the BT Infinity 2 package in full. It is a package that is sold as speeds UPTO 78Mbps as well as the extras already mentioned. It is not sold as a package that guarantees you will get that speed so your statement about BT being unable to fulfill the offer is incorrect.

It may be the case, as it is with you, that you will see no improvement in the speed that you receive but that is different from not being able to purchase the package/offer.

As I have already said, you should do as you apparently have done, and that is check out if the offer is beneficial to you.

Ofcom always make sympathetic noises when you contact them. Please keep us posted on how your complaint progresses.

EDIT: I should have said that there are posters on this forum who are on Infinity 2 packages and can not receive speeds above the Infinity 1 package. When that was pointed out to them they have stated that they wanted Infinity 2 because of the extras it offers, so it is not always about speeds. 

0 Ratings
xmarksthespot
Contributor
Message 6 of 10

@gg30340 - I do smile at your responses and seeming justifications. There will always be exceptions - like the Infinity 2 users you mention for whom Infinity 2 provides no increase in speed over Infinity 1 but are simply happy with the "extras" of Infinity 2 - but I suspect that the majority of Infinity 2 users choose it primarily over Infinity 1 for faster speed, not for its "extras" (many of which can be sourced elsewhere and cheaper).

By the way, the statement I shared about not being able to fulfil the offer originally came from BT themselves when I called them. I am merely passing on what THEY said. I can only imagine the farcical conversation that would ensure if I call them back and tell them they're wrong...

I have never lost a case that I've taken to ofcom and fully expect to retain my 100% success rate.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

@xmarksthespot wrote:

I have never lost a case that I've taken to ofcom and fully expect to retain my 100% success rate.

I am curious about that statement. Ofcom do not deal with individual cases or complaints so can you expand on that.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/how-to-report-a-complaint/sales

I am not justifying anything. I was just pointing out some things that you may not have been aware of.

0 Ratings
xmarksthespot
Contributor
Message 8 of 10

@gg30340 - I don't recall me saying anything about this being an "individual case"? As you said yourself, these are "generic emails" - so by definition affect multiple customers. As per your link, it is perfectly appropriate to direct a mis-selling complaint to Ofcom. Indeed when I called them they didn't refer me elsewhere as "it could lead to launching an investigation into BT".

I am also aware of dispute resolution processes for specific cases.

I do love it when "distinguished sages" bite. Some can't resist being "curious" or wanting to know the outcome or wanting to "share". Then there are those who don't know when to give up!

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 10

I also love it when "Aspiring Contributors"  bite and it becomes apparent with their responses that they can't justify the comments they have made. 

0 Ratings
xmarksthespot
Contributor
Message 10 of 10

Oh dear, you seem a bit touchy there @gg30340

Yeah, isn't it frustrating when Aspiring Contributors (or anyone on this forum) can't justify their comments, or make incorrect assumptions just because they don't have all the information. Don't you just hate that?

In this case, there's nothing for me to justify - I have an ofcom reference in this instance and details of previous cases, and I'm happy to share the outcome of my latest case on the forum once it's concluded. I'm even following the procedure to which you so so helpfully provided the link.

Chill @gg30340.

0 Ratings