I wish I had known about this method of getting the snr re-set.
My normally very stable 2-Meg connection (rural, long line ...) dropped to little more than half the speed three weeks ago, which I tracked down to the snr margin having jumped from its normal 6dB to 12dB, presumably because of a temporary fault or interference on the line. When it hadn't re-set itself after two weeks of unbroken connectivity (which in the past it's always done, usually in increments of 3dB) I spent the best part of an hour on the helpline, jumping through all the line-test hoops (and losing the evidence of my connection stability) - eventually to be told that the snr would be re-set.
A week later, when it still stood at 12dB, I phoned the call centre again, reaching a well-meaning Indian lady who talked only from a script, assured me there was no record of my previous call and tried to talk me through the hoops again. I asked to speak to her supervisor, which took a great deal of time and led to several further lengthy conversations and call-backs over two days, before the requested re-set was finally carried out. The barrier seemed to be that, since the current connection speed lay within the paremeters promised at the point of sale (1 to 2.5 Meg), then it was performing satisfactorily, and the fact that it had performed better for many years was irrelevant.
I find it indefensible that such an attitude should be displayed when so much public money is being invested in connecting up rural areas. An extra 0.75 Mbps is neither here nor there on a highs-peed urban line, but for someone like myself, who uses the internet for online tutoring, this makes an enormous difference. There has to be a less frustrating and time-effective way of dealing with customers ...
Profile has been reset