cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tonfoster
Beginner
Message 1 of 3

Re: Possible reset SNR

I wish I had known about this method of getting the snr re-set.

My normally very stable 2-Meg connection (rural, long line ...) dropped to little more than half the speed three weeks ago, which I tracked down to the snr margin having jumped from its normal 6dB to 12dB, presumably because of a temporary fault or interference on the line. When it hadn't re-set itself after two weeks of unbroken connectivity (which in the past it's always done, usually in increments of 3dB) I spent the best part of an hour on the helpline, jumping through all the line-test hoops (and losing the evidence of my connection  stability) - eventually to be told that the snr would be re-set.

A week later, when it still stood at 12dB, I phoned the call centre again, reaching a well-meaning Indian lady who talked only from a script, assured me there was no record of my previous call and tried to talk me through the hoops again. I asked to speak to her supervisor, which took a great deal of time and led to several further lengthy conversations and call-backs over two days, before the requested re-set was finally carried out. The barrier seemed to be that, since the current connection speed lay within the paremeters promised at the point of sale (1 to 2.5 Meg), then it was performing satisfactorily, and the fact that it had performed better for many years was irrelevant.

I find it indefensible that such an attitude should be displayed when so much public money is being invested in connecting up rural areas. An extra 0.75 Mbps is neither here nor there on a highs-peed urban line, but for someone like myself, who uses the internet for online tutoring, this makes an enormous difference. There has to be a less frustrating and time-effective way of dealing with customers ...

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 3

Hi Welcome to the community forums
Here is a basic guide to getting help from the community members done by CL Keith Please read through the link posted http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/speed/first_steps.html
once you have posted the information asked for then the community members can help you more

if using a hub 4 locate these lines located in the hub logs
Lines should look like this
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.460000) DSL noise margin: 7.00 dB upstream, 6.10 dB downstream
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.390000) DSL line rate: 448 Kbps upstream, 288 Kbps downstream

Thank You
This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 3

Profile has been reset

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings