cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Re: Powerline adapters for extending wi-fi.

Go to solution

I thought 3 or 4 powerline adapters could be set to work together - various persons on web say it works ok??

Sorry this isn't a solution - more of a problem

My problem is (apart from being daft) - I have a BT3 hub with powerline adapter operating a youview box, but I can't get wi-fi in that room(house extension) Can i use it or another"cloned" adapter to connect some kind of extender. I recently bought a TP link TD-W8961ND to use as a remote access point for wi-fi but it doesn't have WAN port so I guess it's the wrong thing.

I can't locate a normal extender anywhere so I need to use powerline adapters somehow - but what do I need to make it work?? Help please!

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Go to solution

You need to add an Ethernet switch in that room, to give you more than one Ethernet connection. Then a wireless access point like the TP Link TL-WA701ND, and plug that into one of the Ethernet ports on the switch. Another port on that switch would connect to the Youview box. That would give you a couple of spare Ethernet ports to coneect other stuff to.

The TP link TD-W8961ND is not the right device to do this.

Powerline adapter  -------  Ethenet Switch --------   TP Link WA701ND

"              ---------  YouView Box

A suitable Ethernet switch would be the TP Link TL-SF1005D

There is a similar diagram on this link, but with different Powerline adapters.

http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/networking/powerline3.jpg

TP Link setup

http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/hardware/TP_link/wa701nd/wa701nd_v2/wa701nd_v2_wiz.html

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

It is possible to have 3 or more powerline adaptors all working together provided that they are all compatible.  There are a number of totally incompatible "standards" for powerline adaptors, and also both 200M and 500M versions.

If you get some new ones, you need to make sure that they are all paired to one master adaptor - usually the one connected to the Home Hub.  Out of the box, they are usually supplied as matched pairs.  You'll need to find the instructions for the models you have to find out how to pair them all to the master one.

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

Thanks for reply, looks like the WA701ND is the way to go, but would a third powerline adapter(which I already have) work instead of the ethernet switch. The powerline adapters are all Comtrend and look identical ( as supplied by BT).

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

thanks for reply, I have 2 pairs of identical Comtrend adapters, as supplied by BT - so hopefully they should be compatible. Not much in the way of instruction with them though!!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

@tintop wrote:

Thanks for reply, looks like the WA701ND is the way to go, but would a third powerline adapter(which I already have) work instead of the ethernet switch. The powerline adapters are all Comtrend and look identical ( as supplied by BT).

You could do that, although you may get issues if you have two adapters right next to each other.

The user guides are on this link.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14271/~/powerline-adapter-user-guides

You will have to reset the extra one to default first, then sync it to the existing one with the AP light on it.

You must only have one AP (master).

The adapters use more power than an Ethernet switch, but if you only want to connect it to a wireless access point, then the extra ports provided by a switch, would not be needed.

You may find that the overall speed of the adapters will be reduced, when you add extra ones.

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

Thanks again - I'll get a WA701ND and try it out

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

Or do what I did and use a spare wifi router, taking advantage of it's LAN ports as a switch.

0 Ratings