cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Asher
Beginner
Message 1 of 13

Re: Query on "Minimum speed guarantee"

Well after 9 hours on the telephone to so many different call centres all having undertaken test after test, three engineer visits, the best speeds I can achieve is 0.88 download and 0.39 upload speed (that is when I have actually enough spped to undertake a test). I'm told there is no guaranteed speed because I live 3.1km from the exchange. Then I receive through the post notification "Ultra-fast" Broadband is coming! Someone in BT has got to be something of a comedian.

Before expending finance on Ultra-fast, waht about spending it on decrepid copper wiring/ exchanges and updating them so we who live 3km from the exchange can at least have a mediocre service?

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Welcome to this user forum.

I have moved your post to this new thread, so you can get personal help from the community or moderators, so please watch this thread for updates.

I am assuming you have a normal ADSL connection?

In order to find out what services and speed range you should be getting, please enter your phone number into this form.
Broadband availability checker

Please remember to edit out your phone number before you post the results.

What was the minimum and maximum speed you were quoted?

Starwire2000
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 13

‘Then I receive through the post notification "Ultra-fast" Broadband is coming! Someone in BT has got to be something of a comedian.
Before expending finance on Ultra-fast, waht about spending it on decrepid copper wiring/ exchanges and updating them so we who live 3km from the exchange can at least have a mediocre service?’

That makes no sense. Why would BT spend hundreds of thousands of pounds replacing the existing Copper Network with yet more Copper and then over laying it with FTTP?????
davews
Contributor
Message 4 of 13

I know lines vary enormously but .88Mbs for a 3km line, assuming ADSL+, does seem incredibly low. My line is 2.8km (actual length) and I consistently got 8Mbs from Sky. When I moved to BT they gave an estimate of 3.5-7.5Mbs. In the event the HH4 connected straight away at 9.5Mbs where it has remained for 12 days. I would suspect a line fault on your line like dry joints which is the cause of your very low speed. Have you done a 'quiet line' test?
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 13

@davews

just because @Asher says lives over 3km from exchange that does not mean that the line length is the same as in most case line length is greater sometimes far greater than straight line distance  until @Asher post some details of connection and results from the dslchecker it is difficult to provide assistance

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Starwire2000
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 13

What’s a ‘Dry Joint’?

Been working in Telecoms most of my working life and never have I heard anyone refer to the term, ‘Dry Joint’.

Heard myself and others many a time say, ‘Dry a Joint Out’ or something along those lines when we’ve opened a Joint that’s had water ingress so we’ve have to Dry it out and remake it because last thing you want is a ‘Wet Joint’ as that causes Earth, Battery and Unbalanced Cable Faults.
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 13

@Starwire2000 wrote:
What’s a ‘Dry Joint’?

Been working in Telecoms most of my working life and never have I heard anyone refer to the term, ‘Dry Joint’.

A dry joint is an un-soldered joint on the MDF, where the jumper wire has been wrapped around a solder tag, but not soldered, or badly soldered. The solder "wets" the joint. Look up soldering on Wikipedia.

If you had ever worked in an exchange or repeater station, then during quiet times, you were given a test to check a section of the frame for dry joints. At one time, it used to be a yearly routine, and TTAs (Trainee Technician Apprentices) were expected to participate.

Starwire2000
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 13

Been working on the MDF since day one, have both H1 and H4 Accreditation’s and no ones ever muttered the words ‘Dry Joint’.

Must just be an old man saying from back in the ‘good old Buzby days’ as the the old farts say.
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 13

Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 13

@licquorice wrote:

https://www.electronics-notes.com/articles/constructional_techniques/soldering/solder-joints.php

@licquorice That`s the trouble with these youngsters, they never started in the GPO Telephone Service Smiley Wink

Everything was soldered then, even the lead cable joints and sleeves. Very few "dry" joiint in the bottom of those manholes.

Anyway getting off topic now.

I notice the OP has not returned since the original post.

0 Ratings