Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
duomus
Beginner
Message 1 of 27

Re: Really Old Master Socket/Box

Go to solution

I have read through this thread.  I have a similar scenario.  I haven't taken the covers of the junction boxes yet but I think that the following is what it is.

The phone line comes into an oval shaped junction box (like this https://community.bt.com/t5/Phones/BT-Master-Socket-amp-BT-Junction-Box-Query/td-p/573587) from there a cable goes to another junction box from which our 3 extensions are wired so we don't have a 'master socket'  The hub is plugged into one of our extensions using a filter.

I have read elsewhere that up to the master socket - which we don't have - we cannot touch the wiring so my questiion is where does Openreach end and household wiring begin?

0 Ratings
26 REPLIES 26
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 27

Go to solution

Welcome to this user forum.

I have moved your post to this new thread, so you can get personal help from the community or moderators, so please watch this thread for updates.

Does your phone line come from a pole, or does it come in underground?

You have "star" wiring, which is going to affect your broadband speed.

Unless those other extensions are being used, it would be best to disconnect them where they join together.

0 Ratings
duomus
Beginner
Message 3 of 27

Go to solution

THank you. 

Our wiring comes from the pavement, up and around the building to a big junction box which feeds other flats and then the wires go somewhere through the brickwork.  All installed in 1966 when the building was erected.  When we had some building work done in the early 1990s all the cables were run under the floorboards to various parts of the flat from the second junction box.  We had 2 incoming lines then so there are 2 redundant cables coming from the second junction box.  I don't know how I would work out which was which though.

We do use the other extensions.  My husband, who is deaf (and old-fashioned!), can't manage cordless phones. 

I was wondering if we installed, or persuaded BT to since they have mucked us around for months, a master socket then the cabling could be streamlined a bit.

We are getting 54Mbps but are paying for 76Mbps.  I know what we have is fine really but it's niggling!

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 27

Go to solution

What speed range were you promised when you had BT Infinity installed?

Which BT home hub do you have?

0 Ratings
duomus
Beginner
Message 5 of 27

Go to solution

We were told up to 76Mbps with a minimum of 57Mbps.  We got a new hub, 6 i think, as part of the deal. 

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 27

Go to solution

Can you please do the following.

Please post the connection information from the smart hub using this link

also

In order to find out what services and speed range you should be getting, please enter your phone number into this form.
Broadband availability checker

Please remember to edit out your phone number before you post the results.

0 Ratings
duomus
Beginner
Message 7 of 27

Go to solution

Um, neither of those links works for me.  I changed some of the settings for access to the router and the network name.  I'm using Firefox.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 27

Go to solution

The first link just gets the stats page from the smart hub, as you said that is what you had.

The second link goes to BT broadband availability form.

Sounds like you have a problem with your web browser.

0 Ratings
duomus
Beginner
Message 9 of 27

Go to solution

Screen Shot 2017-12-27 at 16.30.06.png

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 27

Go to solution

You should be getting a connection speed between 61.8 and 80Mbs on your home hub.

How long ago was your service activated?

0 Ratings