cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 5

Re: Received suspected Phishing email for overdue amount on another email address

I recieved an email from BT<test@FRPOS.COM> with an order receipt number, on my work email address account (nothing to do with BT) stating that my;

"..monthly payment was recently declined. The decline could be due to insuffucient funds, card expired, etc. 

Since you haven't provided us new billing information yet, we thought we'd remind you to please provide us with updated billing information to avoid any billing problems with your account."

and then providing a link!!

I find it a great shame that when trying to report to BT of someone fraudulently purporting to officially be from BT with this phishing email, that BT does not wish to do anything about it. 

When I phoned BT, they were only able to advise me to put the email in my spam folder.

It would be my understanding that in order to stop BT customers from falling into any traps with what are very credible looking emails requesting personal information about payments, that BT should follow up this information provided by the customer and take legal action against these fraudulent people!

It would be my interpretation that this is a failure by BT of  their "duty of care" to BT customers.

Any information about this would be most gratefully received.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 5

Re: Received suspected Phishing email for overdue amount on another email address

It's safe to assume that the people sending these emails will not be in the UK.  So BT has no chance of persuing any legal action against them.

The best thing BT can do is to stop pretending that there is any point in reporting fraudulent emails to them, and instead improve their spam filters.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

This is the message I received, quite disturbing when my payments are through DD. However after checking my bank statement and payment history on BT all was clear with no outstanding balance

Payment declined    
Hello ?????/

Your monthly payment was recently declined. The decline could be due to insufficient funds, card expired, etc.

Since you haven't provided us new billing information yet, we thought we'd remind you to please provide us with updated billing information to avoid any billing problems with your account.

Review account information

Are you making the most of what you get with BT – like secure online storage with BT Cloud? Head to My BT to check your settings.
Add Extras

Thanks,

Libby Barr
Managing Director, Customer Care

Keep up-to-date with any changes to your packages or products at bt.com/updates

I attempted to forward this email to the addresses given to me by BT for instaces like  this (abuse@bt.com, abuse @btconect.com andphishing@bt.com).

At each attempt I received the following

- These recipients of your message have been processed by the mail server:
phishing@bt.com; Failed; 5.3.0 (other or undefined mail system status)

abuse@bt.com; Failed; 5.3.0 (other or undefined mail system status)

abuse@btconnect.com; Failed; 5.3.0 (other or undefined mail system status)

Remote MTA smtpe1.intersmtp.com: network error

- SMTP protocol diagnostic: 550 Delivery not authorized, message refused

Left high and dry.

I have today made contact with BT(INDIA) only to be told that they would check what address

I should send these mails to, the agent hung up the call after 31.01 minutes with no coversation after 12.00 minutes

Left high and dry.

Come on BT get your act together your huge profits come from your customers, or do you look to your aquisitions and forget your customers in the UK!!!!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 5

This is the message I received, quite disturbing when my payments are through DD. However after checking my bank statement and payment history on BT all was clear with no outstanding balance

Payment declined    
Hello ?????/

Your monthly payment was recently declined. The decline could be due to insufficient funds, card expired, etc.

Since you haven't provided us new billing information yet, we thought we'd remind you to please provide us with updated billing information to avoid any billing problems with your account.

Review account information

Are you making the most of what you get with BT – like secure online storage with BT Cloud? Head to My BT to check your settings.
Add Extras

Thanks,

Libby Barr
Managing Director, Customer Care

Keep up-to-date with any changes to your packages or products at bt.com/updates

I attempted to forward this email to the addresses given to me by BT for instaces like  this (abuse@bt.com, abuse @btconect.com andphishing@bt.com).

At each attempt I received the following

- These recipients of your message have been processed by the mail server:
phishing@bt.com; Failed; 5.3.0 (other or undefined mail system status)

abuse@bt.com; Failed; 5.3.0 (other or undefined mail system status)

abuse@btconnect.com; Failed; 5.3.0 (other or undefined mail system status)

Remote MTA smtpe1.intersmtp.com: network error

- SMTP protocol diagnostic: 550 Delivery not authorized, message refused

Left high and dry.

I have today made contact with BT(INDIA) only to be told that they would check what address

I should send these mails to, the agent hung up the call after 31.01 minutes with no coversation after 12.00 minutes

Left high and dry.

Come on BT get your act together your huge profits come from your customers, or do you look to your aquisitions and forget your customers in the UK!!!!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 5

In the last two days I've had an email and telephone call.  Email, very realistic looking  signed by Libby Barr asking me to log in due to a change in the server.  Close examination revealed Btcomm with no dot and the user actually had a BT email account.  

The telephone call was from an Indian who I swear has rung before, telling me that I was using my pc on a server in Nigeria.  Eventually I assume he would like me to download some software.  My address has changed slightly due to the Land Registry so he had the old address. 

They are very realistic and if you are guillable you don't stand a chance.

0 Ratings