Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lark_wood
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Re: Restoring previous speed after line fault

Go to solution

My broadband speed dropped from it's normal 2.5Mbps to 1.6Mbps over the last few weeks. Yesterday the broadband connection kept dropping out. It is now stable but it's even worse at 0.45Mbps. I have been testing it this morning which is when I get the best throughput. I have nothing else connected to the line except my BT HomeHub2. I have tested with two different laptops and with my old Voyager 220v router and connected directly to the master socket. The results are unchanged. 

I see from this post when I compare my line stats to the good ones shown in this post that

my noise margin and output power are much higher db values.  14.4 and 17.9dB.

Mods - please can you correct this for me? I cannot work at home with broadband this slow 😞

ADSL line status

Connection information
Line stateConnected
Connection time0 days, 0:28:25
Downstream2,176 Kbps
Upstream448 Kbps

ADSL settings
VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationITU-T G.992.1
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)14.4 dB / 16.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)55.0 dB / 31.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up)17.9 dBm / 12.3 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local)49
Loss of Signal (Local)17
Loss of Power (Local)0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)131 / 25
CRC Errors (Down/Up)0 / N/A
HEC Errors (Down/Up)N/A / 16
Error Seconds (Local)34
0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Restoring previous speed after line fault - New

Go to solution

Welcome to this customer to customer forum.

To enable forum members to help you, could you please read the web page that is shown below, which asks you to do a few checks first, and has some helpful hints.

Speed and disconnections

The moderators will need you to ask here first for help.

Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

hi once you can maintain 3 days plus connection time then you can get the forum mods to reset your noise margin  there is no point in resetting your noise margin until then because if your line is unstable your noise margin will only rise again

lark_wood
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks John. I will monitor for 3 days and then ask.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution
post back then with your current hub stats and a full BT speedtest and we can give you a link to the mods
0 Ratings
lark_wood
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

The mods got in touch and changed my line SNR to 6dB and this made a big difference improving my download speed from 1.6Mbps to 2.4 which was great. I also noticed afterwards a marked drop in download speed when the router was connected to any extension socket. I examined the extension wiring round the house and found it in a very poor state.

I have replaced every scrap of internal extension wiring with cat5e cable and this has dramatically reduced the errors in the router stats. So much so that I can get the same download speed on any phone socket in the house. Now my download speed has risen from 2.4Mbps to 3.2Mbps and it's stable 🙂 It may not sound much but every little helps.

The latest test results are shown below. My sync speed is 4.1Mbps and download speed is 3.2Mbps regardless of the time of day, am I likely to be able to squeeze any more download performance from it? I am already using an i-plate on the master socket.

0 Ratings
lark_wood
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

Router stats:

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

I doubt you will get much better as you already better than that suggested by kitz for your attenuation

check speed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution
just a matter of maintaining a stable connection your speed
is unlikely to improve more as you already have a good connection speed for your attenuation figure