Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 13

Re: Slow rural broadband question

Hi all

Sorry to butt in on this thread. I searched slow rural broadband being at my wits end! Hoping that someone can give me some pointers...  Apologies if I go off piste, I have issues... generally with BT ..

We have had BT broadband for some 8+ years. I get that we live in the sticks and dont expect some nice engineer dig a fibre channel to my house. Our download speed has consistently been in the region of 0.75mbps although our contract states and the BT website predicts a mighty 1mbps .

So apart from the 0.75mbps narrowband service, we experience many drop outs (sometimes 20 a day by the call centre (cc)operator's own admission) Line resets are performed and things improve for a while. Call centre operatives are very very sorry, promise to resolve the issue, then a few weeks pass and the issues continue repeat ad nauseum. Raising a complaint seems to get me stuck in the same Twilight Zone Loop of copious apologies and promises.

I have recieved conflicting information from CC operatives, believe it or not, until this week we were still managing on a BT Home hub 1.  I have been told by some operatives not to bother upgrading it as our broadband is so slow. I must admit, i havent been keen to dive in to a new router as i have port forwarding set up on it and i wasnt looking forward to faffing about with that on a new router. Plus no one seemed to be able to answer if any of the new hubs would support a DDNS address.

So a couple of weeks ago after many line drops i spent the usual 45 mins on the phone speaking to a cc advisor, went through all the usual tests i do 10 or so times a year and my router was declared the root of all evil and a home hub 3 was dispatched. I am a lay person so spent a good half day wrestling with the port forwarding only to find that the hub would work for 5 mins then disconnect. After spending 3 separate hours speaking to several advisors i was told the problem was that I had electrical equipment in my house and now apparently my fridge was the culprit (what?really,? does no one else with a router own such a new fangled contraption) - My homehub 1 wasnt scared of the fridge. So with the help of one advisor we took the router off the smart wireless scan and tried channels 6 and 11 which apparently are the most stable channels. No joy i'm afraid. So back to my faithful  homehub One which is now plugged in and smugly immune to the charms of the sneaky white goods that populate my kitchen. Apart from the usual drop outs its working fine. A quick look on this forum elsewhere confirms that other people have had the same problem with the HH3. I was told initally that the HH4 would not be suitable as it is dual band and that would complicate things, but now apparently, the HH4 is the answer!

The comment about 'Noise' on the line earlier in the forum is interesting. But when I go to the bT speedchecker, i just get the option to view that i am estimated to get 1mbps download speed and cant get to the speedchecker, am i being thick?

I get that wireless connections will drop out and there will be black spots , but my Homehub 1 has been fine on that front, and i dont want to be trailing round an ethernet cable.

A member of the complaints team is due to ring me back tomorrow, but I must admit after spending a lot of my days off over New Year trying to get this sorted and being stuck in the same frustrating loop of apologies and blame dodging that I have endured for the last 8+ years, i have finally logged an ombudsman complaint. I cant see things improving without doing this.

Any help would be gratefully recieved,  oh and happy new year!

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

welcome to the BT community forum where customers help customers and only BT employees are the forum mods

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the adsl stats from your router you may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or if HH4/5 then go to troubleshooting then logs and you are looking for 2 line together when hub last connected to internet and they will show your connection speed and noise margin or if netgear enter 192.168.0.1). Then run  btspeedtester  (MAC users may have problems). when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post the results ( do not reset the router).

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number  https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

are you connected directly via a filter to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Is the master the only phone socket in your home?

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

test socket.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 13

Thank you for your quick reply imjolly, much appreciated.

I will source an ethernet cable (I dont have one to hand right now) and carry out the checks that you suggested, I can only do it wirelessly at the moment which I appreciate wont be as accurate. I will post the results. I had a quick rummage around in our homehub 1 and can't find an adsl menu. Again bear with me, I am no expert, i'll get there! The menu in the HH1 is very different to the one in the HH3. I could only find the download speed info in the HH and nothing about noise, or any mention of adsl. Going through the troubleshooting menu brings up a list of ticks rather than any useful stats.

Broadband connection details:
Downstream1,024 Kbps
Upstream416 Kbps
Connection time0 days, 0:11:28
Data transmitted1.01 MB
Data received2.31 MB

I can confirm that we are connected directly via a filter to master socket.  The master socket is the only phone socket in our home. One line out to the hub and one line to a bt telephone ( not wireless), its just more simple that way !

Thanks for the tip about the quiet line test, I've never heard of that! 

The Homehub 1 has been plugged back in for a good 24 hours now and the wireless siganal is stable so I am at a loss as to why the HH3 couldnt get off its knees when the technology in it is a good few years more advanced!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 13

ps I tried to click on the star rating at the side of your reply and it came up as a 1......, no option to give any other rating....could it be that its a reflection of my IQ when meddling on a forum??

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 13

you can only give a rating of 1 when you click on the star

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 13

what about the results from the dslchecker?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 13

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

ADSL MaxUp to 1--0.75 to 2.5Available
Fixed Rate0.5 ----Available

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC or WBC SOGEA) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

This line does not have left in jumpers.

Throughput/download speeds will be less than line rates and can be affected by a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

The Stop Sale date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2012; the Formal Retirement date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2014.

this is the info on the availability checker. I know that we are the last house at the end of the line too!!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 13

checker confirms that you are on a long line with estimated speed about 1mb and no fibre available

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 9 of 13

FAQ

Here we go, ethernet cable a go-go.

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download  Speed
 0.71 Mbps

0 Mbps1 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.71 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.2 Mbps-1 Mbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :1.02 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.42 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 0.75 Mbps

If you wish to discuss these results please contact your Broadband Service Provider.

If you are experiencing problems with specific applications, servers or websites please contact your Broadband Service Provider for assistance.

Your test has completed please close this window to exit the performance tester.

Please visit the FAQ if you are unable to understand the test results.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
BT Expert
Message 10 of 13

Hi @jowah

In terms of finding out If and when you maybe able to get fibre broadband, do you know What exchange and Cabinet are you on? You can check by going to https://dslchecker.bt.com/adsl

If your area is being done under a local BDUK/SEP scheme then it maybe best to contact them for further and updated information. If you don't know your BDUK/SEP scheme then providing your Exchange and Cabinet Number will help the community point you in the right direction.
0 Ratings