Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 11 of 13

Re: Slow rural broadband question

Thanks James-C,

I know which exchange I am on ( literally a wooden hut) .

According to broadband availability checker, BT are 'exploring solutions'.  According to the Superfast south yorkshire website, the deployment phase is under review with a view to doing something to upgrade by the end of 2017...but that could be subject to change.  Interestingly when we renewed our contract a few months ago we were cheerily told by the advisor that we would have fibre in a 'few months' , we didn't hold our breath though

Also we are relatively remote,  3/4 mile off the nearest road so like I said earlier, would it be available to us even if there was a handy cabinet on the roadside. ?

Unfortunately now I think it's more likely that wireless communication will be a more viable option before fibre.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, I wish fibre was the answer, I would be really happy with even 1- 2mbps and a reliable connection but seem to get a flaky 0.75 at best.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
BT Expert
Message 12 of 13

@jowah

Regarding your question:
"Also we are relatively remote, 3/4 mile off the nearest road so like I said earlier, would it be available to us even if there was a handy cabinet on the roadside. ?"

It depends on which cabinet your copper line pair is connected to, whether that cabinet is planned for FTTC (Fibre to the cabinet) and how far away you from that cabinet.
New cabinets (PCPs ans FTTC DSLAMs) can't just be placed anywhere as they need to be strategically placed and near existing infrastructures.
There has been some deployment of something called FTTrN (Fibre to the remote node) where mini cabinets have been deployed to clusters of properties in order for them to get a FTTC connection.

You could try contacting Supefast South Yorkshire via hello@superfastsouthyorkshire.co.uk with your landline number and address to see if they can provide you more information as to whether you are in a NGA area and within scope of the programme as well as any estimated deployment timescale.

In the meantime you could look at http://www.superfastsouthyorkshire.co.uk/alternativesolutions
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 13 of 13

Thanks for the information relating to fibre.
Hopefully it will be a solution at some point in the future.
j
0 Ratings