Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DerekG
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 38

Re: Sudden drop in BB speed

Go to solution

My speed dropped twice from 2 meg to around 120 Kbps. Once last March/April and once this past week. In fact it ran so slow the BT speedtest wouldn't work.

Having been through variousl tests and resets and so on, even to trying an ADSL filter, and having daily phonecalls and phone backs....

Magically (both times) were resolved following a lengthy wait while a level2 tech help advisor "looked into the matter".

I had measured the speed at 120 kbps at around 11.30 am, but when the latest tech asked me to hold for about 5 mins and then I wired up my netbook as instructed to test again, all of a sudden, it was miraculously back in full swing. 2 meg or thereabouts. This is 5 days after a noticeable loss and drop out...which progressively went from slow to crawling pace.....

Now once would be a coincidence, but twice, I am now suspicious about what is going on. I live near an exchange so that is not an issue. The nervous (embarrased?) laughter at the other end of the phone when i ask how this is possible is equally disconcerting. I have heard about providers "choking" customers ... and am now looking into this in more depth.

0 Ratings
37 REPLIES 37
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 38

Go to solution
ADSL MAX needs 3/5 days for its IP Profile to rise the speed automatically and the drop is caused by the hub disconnecting you were not being deliberatly capped
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 38

Go to solution

Hi Welcome to the community forums

Here is a basic guide to getting help from the community members done by CL Keith Please read through the link posted http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/speed/first_steps.html

once you have posted the information asked for then the community members can help you more

Thank You

This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators

0 Ratings
DerekG
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 38

Go to solution

A few points I would make:

I don't pretend to fully understand the statement- ADSL MAX needs 3/5 days for its IP Profile to rise the speed automatically and the drop is caused by the hub disconnecting you were not being deliberatly capped ...but

1. My speed recovered from 120 kbps to 3 Mbps in a matter of minutes, not 3-5 days.

2. My hub did not disconnect at any time during the initial period of lost speed, although it was disconnected during the attempts to rectify the problem, as per the troubleshooting instructions.

3. Are some households deliberately capped then?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 38

Go to solution

there is no deliberate capping - the system is automatic.

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the adsl stats from your router may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or use a-z, if netgear enter 192.168.0.1) and run  btspeedtester  (MAC users may have problems). when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post the results .

are you connected directly via a filter to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Is the master the only phone socket in your home?

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

test socket.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
DerekG
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 38

Go to solution

I haven't replied sooner as the speed was fine for a few days....now back to crawling at 240 kbps and lower. This is the standard pattern since I switched from Orange to BT Broadband. 

Unable to get web pages to load correctly at speed, nor watch film of even low quality without stop starting.If the system is automatic, how do you explain a sudden surge in speed when speaking/complaining to the Level 2 advisors on more than one occasion, as if they want to keep me happy for a few days....?

Connecting via filter to master/test socket = no difference

Quiet line test - nothing of note to report

ADSL info-below

ADSL Line StatusConnection InformationLine state: Connected

Connection time: 0 days, 01:08:10

Downstream: 2.406 Mbps

Upstream: 352 Kbps

ADSL SettingsVPI/VCI: 0/38

Type: PPPoA

Modulation: G.992.1 Annex A

Latency type: Fast

Noise margin (Down/Up): 6.0 dB / 6.0 dB

Line attenuation (Down/Up): 15.7 dB / 6.0 dB

Output power (Down/Up): 13.7 dBm / 12.3 dBm

FEC Events (Down/Up): 0 / 0

CRC Events (Down/Up): 0 / 0

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

HEC Events (Down/Up): 0 / 0

Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 4 / 4

Speedtest

Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.25 Mbps

For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.05 Mbps-0.25 Mbps.

Additional Information:

Your DSL Connection Rate :2.46 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.35 Mbps(UP-STREAM)

IP Profile for your line is - 0.25 Mbps

It seems unlimited broadband, which I was encourged to buy into by BT, is far from fulfilling its promise. I intend to write and ask for a refund and consider Sky next year.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 38

Go to solution

can you connect to test socket and repost stats please.  with your attenuation you should have an 8mb connection speed.  the slow download is due to the low profile of 0.25mb which is due to a low connection speed previously.  after the low connection speed the profile drops to be consistent with that speed but when your speed recovers it can take 3/5 days for profile to reflect the increase in conenction speed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 38

Go to solution
unlimited refers to the amount of data downloaded per month not your speed speeds are sold as up to and this applies to all ISP's as has already been posted if you remain connected to the test socket for the next 3/5 days your speed will improve this link explains more about IP Profiles http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/IPprofile.htm#IPprofile_v_sync
0 Ratings
DerekG
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 38

Go to solution
These were the stats when i was connected to the test socket.
I emailed BT about leaving them next day and miraculously I am back up to 1.5 Mbps fairly constant speed for last few days. Never had 8 Mbps, best is 3.5 Mpbs. Why doesn't anyone discuss the reason for the INITIAL massive drop in speed- THROTTLING ?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 38

Go to solution
are you connected to the test socket as suggested your speed dropped due to disconnections which has caused a drop in IP profile have you by any chance got a sky box connected to the phone line if yes is is it properly filtered as the phone splitter they provide is not a filter and they are a well known source of interference problems
0 Ratings