Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 38

Re: Sudden drop in BB speed

Go to solution

Let's be clear on this-
1) I was connected to test socket while the speed was 0.25Mbps
- Now it is back up to 1.5 Mbps I have reconnected to the Openreach box
2) Your reference to Sky (and other so-called interference) is a red herring-my connection is totally separate.
3) BT control the speed - the problem and the solution is with them
4) speed drops v low regularly -every few weeks- it's low for a week or so before recovering itself. There is no pattern in what makes it recover as I have tried different solutions.
-clearly it is then I disconnect/re-start the Hub , so that is not an INITIAL cause of the problem.

Why aren't we talking about why and how BT control the speed?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 38

Go to solution

@DerekG wrote:

Let's be clear on this-
1) I was connected to test socket while the speed was 0.25Mbps
- Now it is back up to 1.5 Mbps I have reconnected to the Openreach box
2) Your reference to Sky (and other so-called interference) is a red herring-my connection is totally separate.
3) BT control the speed - the problem and the solution is with them
4) speed drops v low regularly -every few weeks- it's low for a week or so before recovering itself. There is no pattern in what makes it recover as I have tried different solutions.
-clearly it is then I disconnect/re-start the Hub , so that is not an INITIAL cause of the problem.

Why aren't we talking about why and how BT control the speed?

can I clarify and help

1 the conenction speed in the test socket was better but the download speed was slow at 0.25mb because your profile was low due to a previously low connection speed.  john46 posted a link to help you understand about your profile and how it controls your download speed and how it changes

2  many posters get line noise and disconenction because there sky box is conencted to the phone line without a filter - many being confused by the phone double adapter - if you use a filters faceplate then that should not be a problem

3  the conenction speed is automatically set - there is no manual intervention looking at your conenction and decided what speed you should get.  main criteria are distance from the exchange and line quality

4 unless you check your stats regularly and in particular connection time your router could reset anytime during the day when you are out or at night and you would never know as light will look ok.  only by checking the stats will you know if it dropped

so again BT are not controlling your speed in that there is someone monitoring ypur line - it is all automatic.  if your line drops often then the automatic system increases your noise margin and lowers your conenction speed to try and stabilise your line.  If your conenction continues to drop then the automatic system will further increase your noise margin and lower your conenction speed

every drop in connection speed will result in a lower ip profile - the lower the profile the lower the download speed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 38

Go to solution
OK how about explaining this scenario?

I have not disconnected anything in last few days or messed around with my filter/test socket/hub and according to your logic my line should be stabilising...and speed building back up after the tests carried out during the week of hell in early June.

Here are the speeds for various tests last few days:
21st June 1.3 Mbps
22nd June 0.5 Mbps reducing to 0.25 Kbps during day
23rd June 1.6 Mbps
25th June 1.9 Mbps
26th June 1.4 Mbps
27th June 1.9 Mbps reducing in the morning to 0.4 Mbps increasing late to 1.9 Mbps
28th June 1.9 Mbps at 9.00 am
0.5 Mbps at 9.30 back to 1.9 Mbps at 10.00 am.

How can BT justify unlimited BB for- in my case - £18 per month when it only functions for about half that time? I am not going to call in for any more technical assistance when it is up and down like a yo-yo. My next call is to billing to see when my contract runs to...
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 38

Go to solution

download speed will vary and only way to see what is going on is the adsl stats from your router.

for example all these stats could happen with a stable connection and just fluctuating download speeds on different days at different conditions or your router could be resetting daily hence the fluctuations.  so without router stats your figures show fluctuations but the cause?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 38

Go to solution
changing your provider will not resolve your problem unless you move to a cable provider as they all use the same Openreach lines and BT Wholesale network to the internet

if you would post your current ADSL stats then we can see where the ongoing problem is coming from
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 38

Go to solution
Download speedachieved during the test was - 2 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.4 Mbps-2 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :2.46 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.35 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 2 Mbps
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 38

Go to solution

from that test your conenction looks good for a 2.46 connection speed you have correct profile and thoughput really good matching profile

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 38

Go to solution
the speed test looks fine could you repost your hub stats
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 38

Go to solution
I don't feel I am getting through to anyone... yes the speed is fine now...yes the ADSL stats are probably fine too (at this moment) ,, but for several days this month (and in previous months) and various times in the day (including today), the speed has been so SLOW and basically unacceptable.

ADSL Line StatusConnection InformationLine state: Connected
Connection time: 13 days, 06:02:19
Downstream: 2.406 Mbps
Upstream: 352 Kbps

ADSL SettingsVPI/VCI: 0/38
Type: PPPoA
Modulation: G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type: Fast
Noise margin (Down/Up): 6.1 dB / 6.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up): 15.7 dB / 6.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up): 13.7 dBm / 12.3 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up): 0 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up): 48 / 292
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up): 25 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 51 / 263

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 20 of 38

Go to solution
From your stats you should have an 8mb connection speed but with low connection speed like yours I would expect a far higher noise margin to give the scope for faster speed

If you are connected to the test socket ( even though you have SSFP), have tried new filter and quiet line test is ok then I would contact the mods for help. https://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951

After connection sorted out then that may well solve your problem of low throughput

0 Ratings