Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
homerhotspur
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 35

Re: Sudden drop in speed

Go to solution

May I add my problem to this thread.

Up until about 4 days ago, all was fine getting approx 6-7 Mbps. Now , the speed has plummeted to 0.3 Mbps, worse on wireless laptops. Have phoned support who were meant to check the line and phone back but they haven't yet.

0 Ratings
34 REPLIES 34
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 35

Go to solution

to avoid confusion I have started your own thread.

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the adsl stats from your router may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or use a-z, if netgear enter 192.168.0.1) and run btspeedtester (MAC users may have problems) bt speedtester and post the results .

are you connected directly via a filter to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Is the master the only phone socket in your home?

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

test socket.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
homerhotspur
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 35

Go to solution

ADSL line status

Connection information
Line stateConnected
Connection time0 days, 3:08:54
Downstream283 Kbps
Upstream440 Kbps
ADSL settings
VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationITU-T G.992.5
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)30.6 dB / 30.9 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)16.5 dB / 6.8 dB
Output power (Down/Up)0.0 dBm / 12.9 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local)0
Loss of Signal (Local)0
Loss of Power (Local)0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)43 / 4294967264
CRC Errors (Down/Up)0 / N/A
HEC Errors (Down/Up)N/A / 0

Error Se

cond

s (Local)

Your connection speed 0.2 mbps

Your connection speed is the speed that your Home Hub communicates with the Telephone Exchange. This is usually the maximum speed your line can support for the broadband you're on.

0 Ratings
homerhotspur
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 35

Go to solution

Thank you. I got in rather a muddle trying to post the results of the 2 tests but they are shown separately above. I have tried the quiet line test and all seemed ok. The Hub is connected via a filter to an extension socket. The master downstairs is not actually used. As stated, all was fine until 4 days ago. BT never phoned back. They told me to disconnect from all sockets for 1/2 hour and then they would phone me back. I did this, which did not help, and they did not call back.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 35

Go to solution

are you connected to the test or master socket?  other sockets?  quiet line test?

have you had an email recently from BT about upgrade maybe went to spam folder?

you have been upgraded you adsl2+ up to 20mb

is it possible for you to conenct to the test socket via a filter and post new stats?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 35

Go to solution
could you post the BT speed test speedtester.bt.com and post back the full results
0 Ratings
homerhotspur
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 35

Go to solution
I think I must be missing something regarding the Speedtester. All I get as results are the 3 lines of narrative copied in my previous post. How do I get the 'full results' please? Still running at 0.2mbs this morning and still no call back from BT.
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 35

Go to solution

try this link  http://www.speedtester.bt.com/  only your phone number is required

0 Ratings
homerhotspur
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 35

Go to solution
Tried this but only getting basic results - 0.29 Download and 0.03 upload. Also, did not have to enter my phone number.
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 35

Go to solution
select the adsl fibre diagnostics tab NOT the beta one and then post back the results
0 Ratings