cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stuartd
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 13

Re: Unresponsive Internet for 10-20 secons then fine again

The same thing happens with the Homehub, just tried it. This has happened before but then gone away. I have ruled out the wifi as the issue by streaming a film from my PC to my Ipad 3 using wifi. There are no disconnects it streams fine so it must be an Internet problem. My area code is not listed as affected on the status page either though, my IP address is also the same sand hasn't changed. 

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

I will pass this back to the Infinity board, and let the Infinity experts suggest how you can diagnose the Infinity connection.

0 Ratings
ryant704
Guru
Message 3 of 13

Had this on BT Total Broadband with the old HH2, a new HomeHub fixed it so always put it down to the HomeHub.

If this helped you please click the Star beside my name.

If this answered your question please click "Mark as Accepted Solution" below.
0 Ratings
Stuartd
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 13

@ryant704 wrote:

Had this on BT Total Broadband with the old HH2, a new HomeHub fixed it so always put it down to the HomeHub.

Over the past couple of days I have tried a Linksys EA4500, Asus N66u and the HH3 and this happens on them all. 

0 Ratings
Stuartd
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 13

Is anyone in the know on how the openreach modem connects, even if the line is not completely resetting and getting a new ip could it be doing something else that causes loss of Internet?
0 Ratings
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 13

Note carefully the time of the unresponsive internet and then look at the HomeHub event log for any matching entries.

0 Ratings
Stuartd
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 13

I will plug the homehub back in today and have a look, I am also getting a lot of tap to reload messages when using the Youtube app for Ipad, when I click on videos it will time out and then say tap to reload. 

0 Ratings
sjtp
Guru
Message 8 of 13

even if the line is not completely resetting and getting a new ip could it be doing something else that causes loss of Internet?  

Yes that is quite possible.  There are effectively two levels of connection:

cabinet <--> modem:  a VDSL connection

exchange <--> router:  a pppoe connection that sits 'above' the VDSL connection

Sometimes the modem resyncs with the cabinet.  A common reason for this is if DLM has decided that the connection is too slow or too fast, in which case it forces a reconnect from the cabinet end.  This typically happens around 2:00 am; especially for increased speed.  If the line is bad, sync can be lost at any time and a VDSL resync forced.

It is quite common that the VDSL resync happens fast enough that the exchange<-->router pppoe connection does not notice, and so is not broken.  It is this pppoe connection that establishes the ip address.

For me, most VDSL resyncs have not forced a new pppoe connection.  Other people have found that they generally do.  I don't know what the reason for these differences are.  I'm not sure whether there will be anything in the router log to indicate this situation: I think it quite likely there won't be as it arises when the router doesn't notice anything untoward has happened.

p.s. PPPopE: Point-to-Point Protocol over Ethernet

0 Ratings
Stuartd
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 13

This is a hard problem to diagnose, I haven't noticed any problems really with Ethernet all seems well. However the HH3,N66u and Linksys EA4500 all slow down on wifi even though they are still connected with full bars. 

0 Ratings
Stuartd
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 13

Could is be DNS related? What happens usually ilifer example I am on the Youtube Ipad App and I will try to see he what someone's latest videos are and it won't load them and it comes back asking me to tap to retry. Also when I am browsing Alien Blue which is an ipad reddit client it also will stop loading pictures or only load a few or sometimes totally stop working for around 10 seconds or so. 

0 Ratings