cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EastExpert
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 18

Re: Up to 38MB or 52MB which am I on? Technical insist set to 38MB Sales/Contract 52MB.

I seem to have the same issue. 

Tried to resolve it by calling support first, but I'm afraid it's not going anywhere, there weren't many sympathetic ears and they kept saying there's no speed limit on my line. Firstly they've just told me to wait and it would sort it out automagically. Did not. Smart Hub reboot didn't help much. Next call, they "raised internal request" but nobody has contacted me after that.

So I request the help from the mighty Mods.

Situation:

I have migrated from EE to BT Infinity 1, and my speed remained below 40 Mbps. My current line sync rates are 40056 (surprisingly close to 40000!) and 10000 (clearly rate-limited too). Noise margins are above 6 dB and readings on DSL checker show I should have quite a margin over 40 Mbps.

Also here are the SamKnows results:

BT FTTC broadband availability
You are connected to the Basingstoke telephone exchange.

FTTC is available in your area

Downstream Min: 45.4 Mbps 
Downstream Max: 61.8 Mbps
Upstream Min: 12.1 Mbps 
Upstream Max: 17.7 Mbps

» Matched result using the phone you provided

It looks like I may be stuck on 40/10 profile (which I had while with EE) and have never been upgraded to 55/10.

I want to try & get closer to promised "up to 52 Mbps" or however much my line is ready to hold.

Please help.

Cheers
Maximilian
Tags (4)
0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 18

Re: Up to 38MB or 52MB which am I on? Technical insist set to 38MB Sales/Contract 52MB.

Can you run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results. Make sure you delete your phone number before posting.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

and use this speed tester then scroll down the page and carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen shot of all the results including your IP profile for up and down. This test must be done with a wired connection.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

If you have a Homehub 5 can you post the stats from 1-12 by logging onto the Homehub management pages then troubleshooting > helpdesk. http://bthomehub.home/

or

If you have the Smart Hub, (Homehub 6) can you go to hub manager then advanced then technical log and post the stats. http://bthomehub.home/

0 Ratings
EastExpert
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 18

Hi gg30340, 

Here are results for everything except BT Wholesale Speedtest. This one will arrive a tad bit later as wife gets off her "mission critical" streaming TV show. 🙂 From my previous runs, the results were in the ballpark of 38/9 Mbps. But I will post the updated results quite soon.

==========================================

DSLChecker

BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER
Telephone Number 01256+++++4 on Exchange BASINGSTOKE is served by Cabinet 102

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Handback Threshold(Mbps)

WBC FTTC Availability Date

WBC SOGEA Availability Date

WBC FTTC 18x2 Provide Availability

WBC FTTC 18x2 Sim Availability

Left in Jumper

HighLowHighLow        

Featured Products

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

WBC FTTP Availability Date

ADSL Products

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

Left in Jumper

Other Offerings

Availability Date

VDSL Range A (Clean)61.845.417.712.139.8Available----Yes--
VDSL Range B (Impacted)48.727.414.46.821.3Available----Yes--
FTTP on Demand33030--Available--------
WBC ADSL 2+Up to 2.5--1 to 4Available------Yes
ADSL MaxUp to 2--1 to 3.5Available--------
WBC Fixed Rate1----Available------Yes
Fixed Rate1----Available--------
VDSL Multicast------Available--------
ADSL Multicast------Available--------

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (VDSL or G.fast) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

This line is on a Market B Exchange.

==========================================

BT Home Hub > Advanced Settings > Technical Log

Product name:
BT Hub 6A
Serial number:
+084316+NQ64289394
Firmware version:
SG4B10002244
Firmware updated:
04-Jan-2017
Board version:
Gui version:
DSL uptime:
4 Days, 9 Hours 12 Minutes 45 Seconds
Data rate:
10.00 kbps / 40.56 kbps
Maximum data rate:
10212 / 41493
Noise margin:
6.5 / 6.1
Line attenuation:
Signal attenuation:
VPI / VCI:
0/38
Modulation:
G_993_2_ANNEX_B
Latency type:
Fast Path
Data sent / received:
422 MB Uploaded / 2767 MB Downloaded
Broadband username:
bthomehub@btbroadband.com
BT Wi-fi:
Not active
2.4 GHz wireless network name:
BTHub6-GTCF
2.4 GHz wireless channel:
Smart (Channel 11)
5 GHz wireless network name:
BTHub6-GTCF
5 GHz wireless channel:
Smart (Channel 36)
Wireless security:
WPA2 (Recommended)
Band steering:
Off
Wireless mode:
Mode 1
Firewall:
On
MAC address:
AC:84:C9:B8:EA:FF
Software variant:
-
Boot loader:

Cheers
Maximilian
0 Ratings
EastExpert
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 18

BT Wholesale Broadband Performance Test

Broadband Speed Test Results

Download Speed (Mbps): 37.93

Upload Speed (Mbps): 9.06

Ping Latency(ms): 22.88

Additional Test:

FAQ

Results Image not loaded

1. Best Effort Test:
Download Speed : 37.93 Mbps

2. Upstream Test:
Upload Speed : 9.06 Mbps

Your speed test has completed and the results are shown above, however during the test an error occurred while trying to retrieve additional details regarding your service. As a result we are unable to determine if the speed you received during the test is acceptable for your service. Please re-run the test if you require this additional information.

Cheers
Maximilian
0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 18

You're not stuck on 40/10 as you're in sync at 40560kbps, above the 40000 cap.

Are you connected to the master socket or an extension?
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 18

Your Data rate is 40.5Mbps which is obviously above 40Mbps so you must be on the 52/10 package otherwise it would be showing below 40Mbps.

In any event, going by your hub stats your max attainable is 41Mbps so it would make no difference regardless if you were on the 40/10 package or the 52/10 package as your line would not be able to deliver above 41Mbps as things stand, which with overheads would give slightly lower speeds than what you are getting.

Your noise margin is about the optimum of 6db so there is no room for any great improvement on your line.

Have you tried connecting to the master socket/test socket to see if anything improves. If it doesn't improve you could complaint to BT because your estimated speed is between 45Mbps and 61Mbps and you are not getting your minimum estimated speed.

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 18

55/10 not 52/10 🙂
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
EastExpert
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 18

Thanks for the heads-up. You've convinced me I am probably on a new package. (55/10 line sync, 52/9 effective performance).

However you're right, I am not ready to accept 41Mbps if estimate says 45-61 Mbps. More speed is one of the reasons I've migrated to BT.

I will try to move the router to connect to the master socket.

(Currently, it's located in a closet under the stairs, where all Ethernet sockets are; the extension where the router connects is quite good quality, so I didn't have problems with the steady 40000/10000 rates under EE.)

I will also disconnect the only present landline phone first, to see if that makes any difference. In my practice, there was one case where a connected legacy telephone set totally killed line speed (like, 1/5 of maximum). Also, I'll check if there are still Christmas lights left (these can do the damage...)

Cheers
Maximilian
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 18

@Webby wrote:
55/10 not 52/10 🙂

The package is sold as 52/10

https://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/broadband-packages

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 18

The sync speed, which is what we're disucssing, is a 55/10 product from Openreach (as was the 40/10 along with 40/2 and 80/20).

If you're disucssing retail packages, then it would actually be 38/9.5 and 52/9.5.
0 Ratings