cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ap12
Message 1 of 6

Re: Upload speed seems fine, download speed suddenly really bad ?

This is the exact same thing that has happened to me. My Bt connection was fine for 1 year but for the past few months on the odd occasion my internet has kept slowing down and causing me to have high pings on games(League of Legends) . A few months ago a bt engineer came to my house and did something to make my internet faster. It was fast until a few days ago(5 days to be precise). Now im struggling to even get 4 Download speed,althought my Upload speed is not too bad.(9) 

I have Bt infinity 2 and my computer works at 60 download speed and 18 upload but my laptop for some reason is now only doing 3 download and 9 upload.It used to be doing 38 download and 15 upload.

Can someone tell me why this is? I have unlimited Usage,i've used 90Gb this month and my average 82 per month. I think it could be because im a 'heavy user' but can someone confirm this for me?

5 REPLIES 5
kfreeland
Contributor
Message 2 of 6

Well when I joined BT a year ago i had 17mbps down on ADSL and that dropped to 16/15/14/13 over the months. Since the 3rd of March It dropped from it's 12mbps (1.2mpbs effective) to around 0.9mbps (80-90kbps effective)...the same sort of speeds i had back in 2002 when i had AOL and broadband was sort of a new thing lol. My monthly average data use was 130GB but BT does state it does not slow down peoples connections and unlimited means unlimited surely ???

0 Ratings
Sage
Message 3 of 6

"I have Bt infinity 2 and my computer works at 60 download speed and 18 upload but my laptop for some reason is now only doing 3 download and 9 upload.It used to be doing 38 download and 15 upload."

That would seem to indicate a problem with the laptop.

Presuming you are connecting wirelessly the first thing to do is check for wireless driver updates, don't rely on Windows doing it for you, go to the manufacturers site for the latest drivers.

Next try changing wireless channels in the router.

Have ago and if you still have problems come back.

0 Ratings
ap12
Message 4 of 6

No there's no problem with the laptop as this happened a few months ago aswell. My computer was going at 60 while my laptop was really slow, then a bt engineer came and the laptop became a lot faster. This was about 2 months ago

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

Try a factory reset of the homehub by pressing a pin into the recess button on the rear for about 20 seconds. This ofetn sorts out problems.

If the speed is still poor on the laptop, have you connected the laptop by Ethernet to see what speeds it gets. It could be wireless interference that is causing your problem. If the speed is OK on Ethernet you should download a Wifi Analyser app for you smartphone if you have one or use the free version of inSSider from forum member Keith Beddoe's website here

http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/software/insidder.zip

It will show you the wireless channels and which one your Homehub is on. You want to find the channel with the least congestion, ie. least number of users. Once you have that you need to change your homehub onto that channel.

See link how to change channel on homehub

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14094

ap12
Message 6 of 6

Thanks for your quick replies. My laptop speed seems to be going fast again(30 download speed) and i haven't touched anything on the router. 😄 I don't know what the problem was.

0 Ratings