Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Barney300
Contributor
Message 1 of 22

Re: Your free boost is ready to open

Go to solution
Just one more from me, and then I'll start comparing the different ISPs in the hope of finding something better than BT, which shouldn't be difficult considering the total CR*P "service" I'm currently paying £40, £50, £60 per month for.

No response necessary. I just want to express my disgust. I'm supposedly on "super-fast" fibre-optic broadband, but I NEVER get download speeds in excess of 6.4 MiB, and most of the time it's around 1 MiB on a "good" day.

Today I'm getting download speeds ranging from zero to about 250 KiB.

That's KILO-bits per second, not the MEGA-bits I'm PAYING for.

Why am I paying extra for fibre when I'm hardly getting dial-up speeds?

I think it's Virgin that claims to "guarantee" something like 64 MiB, something I've NEVER had with BT. It's time for a change, even if it costs even more than I'm paying already. It will be worth it to be rid of BT.
0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
DavidM
Message 2 of 22

Go to solution

Hi @Barney300 and thanks for posting.

Can you please start a thread on the Infinity board and post some speed test results and I'll take a look at that for you.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Barney300
Contributor
Message 3 of 22

Go to solution
Sorry DavidM. I tried the test, but got a message saying I need to install Flash (I've always had Flash installed).

I'll give as much information here as I can. Apologies if some of it isn't relevant.

I don't normally use on-line speed tests  because it's more convenient to use the built-in (Linux) Ubuntu System Monitor, which shows upload/download speeds in actual use and "in real time", plus any swap-file access and a visual indication of what the various processors are doing

(I've got an i7 processor running at 3.07 Ghz and 6GB RAM, so that shouldn't be a problem)

I believe my router was recently (wirelessly) hacked, so have now disabled wireless, never having used it myself, but that's a different issue.

Some months I do quite a lot of downloading, other months less so, but it seems the more I use it, the slower it becomes, as if BT is deliberately slowing things down. I'm quite knowledgeable with computers generally, but rather vague where some aspects of the internet are concerned though, so I'm open to suggestions here.

Thank you for offering to help, but it seems I'm stuck because the speed test isn't able to detect my installation of Flash for some reason.

I thought Flash was being phased out, but it seems most websites are still using it. Nobody seems to know what's happening.
0 Ratings
DavidM
Message 4 of 22

Go to solution

Thanks for trying @Barney300. Can you try the uninstall / reinstall route and run the test again? The reason we need those results are is it linked back to our suppliers so once the test is run including the further diagnostics we can pick up the results from wholesale and progress the fault.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Barney300
Contributor
Message 5 of 22

Go to solution
Sorry Remospadaccini, you posted while I was typing my reply to DavidM.

I'm in a block of flats, and the cabinet is in the road outside, perhaps 50 yards from where I'm sitting, and about 2½ (2.5) miles from the exchange.

If it's true that my line can't handle high speeds (I'm supposedly on fibre), it would mean BT was wrong to sell me the "service" in the first place, but we'll have to see what transpires.
0 Ratings
Barney300
Contributor
Message 6 of 22

Go to solution
Thanks for the rapid response, DavidM, but I've uninstalled-reinstalled Flash so many times in recent months that there's no point doing it again. It just isn't going to work.

I was under the impression that Flash wasn't supposed to be in use any more due to security vulnerabilities or something, but nothing seems to have changed. Sites are still using it as much as ever.

I just don't know where to go from here.

My general dissatisfaction though isn't only about download speeds. For months I've been trying to create a couple of new sub-accounts for e-mail. I've got the main one and one sub, but the site won't give me the option to create any more. That's a separate issue though, and someone's trying to help with that on another thread.

It doesn't help that I find this forum so confusing to navigate. I've been on other forums, one for several years, but never one like this.

Sorry, I'm waffling again, but I'm sure you can understand my frustration.
0 Ratings
DavidM
Message 7 of 22

Go to solution

I can completely understand your frustrations @Barney300. I'll do my best to help here. Can you drop me over an email with your details? You'll get the contact the moderators link in my profile.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 22

Go to solution

Please post your full Router Stats. For a Home Hub see on here: Broadband Top Tips . Full router stats are key to any speed & connection issues.

What does BT Broadband Availability Checker estimate for your phone number? Post just the whole table and the line above it, blanking out your phone number. If it doesn't recognise your phone number, use the Address Checker, not the Postcode Checker.

Contributor
Message 9 of 22

Go to solution
Thanks for that, XRaySpeX. The on-line speed check isn't an option due the the Flash issue, and I don't know how to get my router stats. I've tried both the IP and URL (separately of course), but all I get is a search page.

I was able to do the availability check, but is that relevant as I've already got broadband? If so, how do I post it? Copy and paste didn't work, but I didn't really expect it to.

You'll realise by now that, despite having had my present router for a few years now (it's a BTHub5), I've never explored it's internal workings beyond disabling wireless a couple of weeks ago when it seemed my bandwidth was being stolen, and I'm not yet familiar with the workings of this forum.

I should mention that DavidM is already trying to help with this matter, so I hope I'm not wasting your time with duplication of effort.

To further complicate things, after today I'll be away from the forum until next Wednesday due to family commitments.

Sometimes I think it would be easier to forget the whole thing and settle for what I've got. At least it works, albeit very slowly at times.
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 22

Go to solution
you enter 192.168.1.254 into the address bar not the search bar of your browser
0 Ratings