cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Firedragon82
Beginner
Message 1 of 14

Re: Youview :- End of contract question

Hi. I have a black BT vision box. When I left BT some years ago the boxes then only worked if you had BT broadband plugged in. I asked at the time whether it could be turned into a freeview recorder and the answer I got was that there was a trial going on to test this. No one ever got back to me though. So my question is, will it now work without BT broadband being attached and if not where can I get a software update to enable it to do so?

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
StewM
Guru
Message 2 of 14

Hi, welcome to the forum. Support for the older BT Vision Boxes has now been withdrawn. Have a look here

Stew

0 Ratings
Firedragon82
Beginner
Message 3 of 14

Ok but this page http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/59372/~/bt-vision-tv-service-switch-off says that by vision boxes will be able to watch and record freeview sd channels. But when I left BT, this wasn't the case. It had to be connected to BT broadband. So how do I get my black BT vision box to be able to watch and record freeview sd channels? It is obviously possible now. I asked several times when I left BT but was not given the information. 

0 Ratings
StewM
Guru
Message 4 of 14

Have you tried plugging the aerial in the Vision Box? 

Stew

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 14

The old boxes try to do a software update, but this will fail without access to a broadband connection, so the box will just go into a reboot cycle.

Not sure if a BT Broadband connection is needed, or just any broadband connection, so it may be worth connecting it to the Internet.

0 Ratings
Firedragon82
Beginner
Message 6 of 14

I've plugged in the aerial and broadband, but not BT broadband, and all I get is a please wait screen. It probably needs a newer software, so how can I get it to do a software update without it looking for BT specific broadband?1508266737045-2090629386.jpg

0 Ratings
StewM
Guru
Message 7 of 14

If I remember correctly, your software is not the latest before the Vision box support was removed. As the support has now been removed you will not get the update so therefore the Vision Box will not work.

Stew

0 Ratings
Firedragon82
Beginner
Message 8 of 14

Thanks for your reply. Needless to say I'm a bit annoyed that when I left BT the software I had didn't allow it to function as a standalone freeview recorder and at that time I couldn't get any new software as the box didn't function without BT specific broadband. So I kept the box hoping that BT might be able to push some software to the box or send it to me on a data stick or something in the future, and now I find that support was only withdrawn a few months ago and now a solution is not possible. It's totally unfair that people who have later software can still use their box as a freeview recorder and I can't. 

0 Ratings
StewM
Guru
Message 9 of 14

You left BT.

Stew

0 Ratings
Firedragon82
Beginner
Message 10 of 14

Yes but I'd paid for the box which is now unable to be used!

0 Ratings