Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
IandeBures
Beginner
Message 1 of 14

Re: broadband drops out when cordless phone is used

Hi @Keith_Beddoe,

Would you mind reposting your ADSL filter advice from 2011?  (It appears to have dropped from your original post in the intervening years.)

I have a problem with my connection constantly dropping and reconnecting, and have Panasonic cordless phones set up in a way similar to that of the OP.  I'm grasping at straws here -an engineer has visited and detected no fault that would explain the dropping connection) - but I'm desperate for a solution.  

(My speed has also dropped from 17/18 mbs to approx 12 mbs, but that's another story that can probably be explained by the frequent visits of BT Outreach contract personnel to the cabinets in our village over the last couple of months.)

Many thanks.

Ian

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

this may help you have posted on a very old solved thread that is most likely reason the original image is missing  twofilters.jpg

0 Ratings
DavidM
Message 3 of 14

Hi @IandeBures,

I've moved your post as you posted on a very old thread. Can you let us know if @john46 advice is what you're after?

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
IandeBures
Beginner
Message 4 of 14

Hi John and David,

Thank you both for helping out so promptly - I do appreciate it.

I will try that filter configuration.  Interestingly, that was how we had the filters set up to the main socket before the engineer visited last month. He insisted that the double filter was unnecessary, and proceeded to remove one of them (while also installing a new BT master socket face plate).  As far as I recall, we did double the filters on the recommendation of another engineer, but that was many, many years ago; and so I can't recall if he worked for BT or was visiting for another reason (perhaps to instal the Sky box).

Coincidentally, my wife tells me that our broadband connection has been down since 11.30am today, reconnecting only in the last 20 minutes.  I've visited my local council's roadworks website, and see that BT have been working in the village today to:

"lay approx 3m of Duct 54/56 in fw to link existing BT boxes to facilitate spine cabling works".  

Whatever that means, I'm hoping that perhaps the recent frequent drops in connection, together with the marked reduction in our download speed from 17/18 mbs to 12 mbs, are attributable to BT's duct-laying!

Thanks, again, both.

Ian

0 Ratings
XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 14

Does the new master socket face plate have 2 separate sockets showing; 1 for phone & 1 for BB? If so, it is filtered & will be instead of the top dangly filter in the diagram.

Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 14

spine cabling is the laying of fibre infrastructure
0 Ratings
IandeBures
Beginner
Message 7 of 14

Thanks for your comment, "XRaySpeX".  There aren't two separate sockets on the outside of the face plate - just the one into which the filtered cable is inserted. It's called a "Master Socket 5C".  Ian 

0 Ratings
IandeBures
Beginner
Message 8 of 14

Thanks, John. That sounds interesting - presumably a leg of the "fibre journey", which, according to BT Openreach, will result in a fibre service being available in the next 4 months.  I wonder if that will result in an improvement in my 12 mbs download speed.

Coincidentally, I phoned BT Mumbai this evening to complain about my constantly dropping connection, and was told that a fault on an outside line has been identified, and should be repaired in the next 24 hours. I'm tempted not to hold my breath.  Whether the repair will stop my dropped connection AND return my download speed to the 17/18 mbs I used to enjoy, time alone will tell.

Ian 

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 14

All you can do is wait and hope 😞
0 Ratings
PaddyB
Message 10 of 14

Hi @IandeBures,

Please post back an let us know how you get on? If the service isn't repaired with in the next 24 hours, I'll be able to take a look at your connection and run a few checks on your line.

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings