Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DavidMk7
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Re: can't get more than 2 Mb/s BB speed

Go to solution

My apologies for reviving and hijacking this old post, but it came up on a search and I was struck by the remarkable similarities to my problem in some respects.

I am also stuck on a download limit of 1.8Mb/sec and have been since my contract began. However, the problem is not my IP profile, which shows 13.4.

I have an old style socket, so can’t use the ‘test’ socket, but have connected directly to the main socket, with nothing attached to the extension.

Unfortunately, I don’t have a home hub (actually, I have a really old one, but can't access any statistics), but have used a variety of ADLS2 routers, all of which experience the same problem.  The current router’s stats page does not match the info shown by the home hubs, but I have attached what I can obtain.  I have also attached my speedtest results.

I have contacted BT and they are talking about sending an engineer around, with a potential chanrge of £130, but I wanted to see whether anyone here has any ideas as to why my speedtest shows 13 for my IP profile when my download speed is only 1.8.  It just seems too much of a coincidence to me that I can only download at the same 1.8 that Claudiu was experiencing.  Is there anyway that my profile could be stuck at 2mb but still somehow reporting 13?

System up Time:

0:55:52

Current Date/Time:

CPU Usage:

0.28%

Memory Usage:

78%

WAN Port Statistics

Link Status:

Up

WAN IP Address:

Upstream Speed:

828 kbps

Downstream Speed:

15564 kbps

Node-Link

Status

TxPkts

RxPkts

Errors

Tx B/s

Rx B/s

Up Time

1-PPPoA

Up

0:54:29

LAN Port Statistics

Interface

Status

TxPkts

RxPkts

Collisions

Interface

1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.

Download  Speed

13.47 Mbps

0 Mbps

21 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 13.47 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4 Mbps-21 Mbps.
 IP Profile for your line is - 13.73 Mbps

2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.

Upload Speed

0.67 Mbps

0 Mbps

0.83 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.67Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Go to solution

I have moved your post to start your own thread and that way there will be no confusion with the previous originator

you are on adsl2/2+ and as such your profile is 88.2% of conenction speed and changes immediately your speed chnages.  from the information you have  posted you have the correct profile for your conenction speed and a good downoad speed for your profile

are you sure you are not confusing bits with bytes?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
DavidMk7
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

Thanks for this imjolly.  And you’re quite right; I’ve been a complete idiot and not been paying attention to the size of the Bs!  Download speeds are in mega-bytes and connection/speedtest figures in mega-bits, so, once you do the maths, everything is actually OK.  I’m quite surprised that none of the tech support people picked up on this.  I’m also seriously embarrassed about making such a novice mistake myself and not to mention a tad disappointed that I won’t now be able to improve my connection speeds.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

Its a very common mistake, so you are forgiven Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution
Don't worry it is a common occurance but looking at your stsa you already have a good connection speed
0 Ratings