cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Marge65
Message 1 of 17

Re: connect sony bravia TV to BT home hub 2.0 using UWA-BR100 dongle

I too have had endless difficulty connecting my Sony Bravia TV to my new BT hub 3 via a Sony Dongle. BT said that Comet, from whom I purchased the TV & Dongle should sort it out and vice versa. I went back and forth between the two for three days. Eventually a guy called Damien at Support at Comet talked me through entering all the codes manually. It took more than an hour, but at last I have i player restored (it had worked perfectly with my previous Internet provider)
0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 17

It was probably due to the fact that the wireless encryption uses WPA or WPA2. Perhaps your old ISP gave you a router which only supported WEP?

It was good to hear that the people at Comet could help you sort it out. Many retailers cannot be bothered, even if they were the ones that sold you the equipment.

0 Ratings
Sukipurr
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 17

Keith. Back again! I too have spent all afternoon trying to connect my Sony Bravia TV with a Sony Dongle to my BT Hub 3. Unsuccessfully. No problem when I set up to my AOL netgear hub.  I just checked on the setting used last time and  it said a WEP OR WPA key would be required and I set it up first time. This time it should have been easy as you just press a WPS push button on Hub.

Sorry for butting in...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 17

As far as I am aware, WPS has been disabled on the HH3, as it was a security risk, so you will have to use a wireless key.

Really it would be much better to forget wireless, and use a cable or Powerline connection, much less hassle, and mor capable of handling streaming media.

SeeNetwork connection problems and possible solutions

0 Ratings
djh22
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 17

Or get BT Vision for £4 per month for Iplayer and more. Bandwidth used through the TV is counted whereas bandwidth through BT Vision is not.

Del.

0 Ratings
Sukipurr
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 17

KEITH pleased to say I have finally got the Dongle connected....success as 6.30am! Shows how tenacious I am.  Had to use the unsecured network with any type of wireless LAN router.  I couldn't have used anything with wires because of where the hub is situated (another room from tv). Many thanks for all help!  KEITH

0 Ratings
Sukipurr
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 17

Thanks for help, finally got the Dongle connected. I only bought the TV at Christmas and spent nearly £70 on the Dongle...so was determined to get it working if at all possible! I had no probs setting it up to my Netgear hub at Christmas but just switched to BT on Friday...got to get printer going yet.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 17

You should not set up your router as unsecured, as anyone could access it and download illegal material, and you would get blamed. The choice and risk is yours.

There are other much better and safer options, as I mentioned before.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 17

There is another option, use your Netgear router as an additional wireless access point, as it connects to it without problems.

You can then secure your wireless network.

0 Ratings
Sukipurr
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 17

Keith. When I was setting it up (from the sony manual...it was 1 of 4 choices...the choice which should have worked didn't) Following the instructions on the TV screen, when I reached the page that listed the detected hub....it was listed twice for some reason.... I selected the hub which had a padlock by it's side, do you think then, that this means it is ok?

0 Ratings