Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bazbanfill
Message 1 of 7

Re: speed what the hells going on.

...suddenly last summer...

I have been keeping a log of my download speeds:

Mornings: 8  - 13 mps  (I live 400 ms from main city exchange)

Evenings: 0.3 - 0.8 mps (I am surrounded by lots of pubs with free access)

I think it is just pointless to complain to BT..they have underestimated traffic density and need to invest serious money in line capacity. Sometimes my network connection page does not even list my hub as a potential source and I have to manually connect......ah well....

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
astar27
Expert
Message 2 of 7

bazbanfill if you want some help, please start your own thread
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

astar27 I have started a new post as this will just cause confusion as you said

@bazbanfill

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the adsl stats from your router may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or use a-z, if netgear enter 192.168.0.1) and run btspeedtester (MAC users may have problems) bt speedtester and post the results .

are you connected directly via a filter to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Is the master the only phone socket in your home?

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

test socket.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Bazbanfill
Message 4 of 7

Thanks for your interest, but you are dealing with an ignoramous as far as 'buzzwords' are concerned.

I followed your advice and entered 192..etc and selected the adsl menu (what does adsl mean?).

It then suggested that I reset my router by inserting a pin somewhere since I had no recollection of a password demanded. I remember when I first connected some years back that the speed was extremely slow but a very nice man on the phone went thru some package, got me to change some numbers, and lo and behold it all happened. Hence I am very reluctant to reset to 'default' position. Is there any alternative to this?

Frankly, I am firmly convinced that in the evening in this city center all other flat residents come home from work, turn on the 'tap' and little 'water' comes out. Hence I do all my work in the early hours!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

ok then can you run btspeedtester not beta and post the results.

did you try quiet line test?  what about the sockets - conencted to master or test ( see diagram in my previous post) - other sockets?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
astar27
Expert
Message 6 of 7

adsl stands for: asymmetric digital subscriber line. run a test at http://diagnostics.bt.com/speedtest and let us know what your connection and estimated speed are, and then in section two tell us the ip profile.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

if you enter 192.168.1.254 into your browser and get hub manager then user 'admin' and password should be on the hub unless you have changed it

0 Ratings