cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ewaawoowaa
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 10

Reached my broadband limit in a day???!!

My broadband was switched to Option 1 effective today.  I have just recieved an email saying that I am near my limit and have used 7GB of the 10GB.

This is impossible.  I doubt I have used more than 100mb.  I cannot be doing with this.

I have been going on bt fon on my own router, could that explain it? 

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Ewaawoowaa
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 10

Re: Reached my broadband limit in a day???!!

Having a read of some other posts it seems other people are having a problem with this.  I'm not sure I trust BT in this regard and I can't afford to take a hit in over usage charges. 

0 Ratings
Ewaawoowaa
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 10

The online usage monitor is still saying im 78GB over my 10GB cap!  Presumably this is because I was on Option3 until today.

If BT try sending me a huge bill for this I will be cancelling all serivces and pay the cancelation fee. 

EDIT:  Just checked the usage on the homehub.  According to that, in the last few hours I have uploaded 1.3GB and downloaded 1.6GB.  Totally impossible unless it is counting fon usage. 

I have just spotted that  you are only charged if you go over 2 months running so I can wait and see what happens next month.  I assume it is an error relating to me switching from option 3 to option 1 mid month.  It better had be.  As discussed elsewhere, I don't see how BT can charge people for over use when the only evidence is BT's hidden monitor.  You wouldn't put up with that for gas or electricity.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

It'll 100% be because as you've said, you recontracted mid-month.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 10

@Ewaawoowaa wrote:

EDIT:  Just checked the usage on the homehub.  According to that, in the last few hours I have uploaded 1.3GB and downloaded 1.6GB.  Totally impossible unless it is counting fon usage. 

While the Usage Monitor may be screwed up by changing your contract mid month, the Home Hub data should not be.

Fon usage should not be included in the Hub data. I suggest you monitor the Hub data on an Hourly basis and also note the devices attached.  Your uploaded value of 1.3 Gb seems odd in particular.

0 Ratings
Ewaawoowaa
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 10

Thanks for the replies.  

I have rang Mumbai and they said it will all be updated on Monday with my real usage.  I was just in a panic because the reason I switched broadband was because I needed to lower my outgoings fast and I had nightmare visions of a huge £1 per GB bill dropping through the door and giving me more hassle.

The homehub thing is strange.  I very much doubt any of my neighbours have hacked my router.  I have been using fon on my own hub to keep my usage down and that's all I can think it is. 

The 1.3GB upload on the hub would actually tally with my fon use because I was torrenting.

Oh well, I will keep a close eye on it now.  It seems to randomly reset anyway which makes it difficult. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 10

@Ewaawoowaa wrote:

Thanks for the replies.  

I have rang Mumbai and they said it will all be updated on Monday with my real usage.  I was just in a panic because the reason I switched broadband was because I needed to lower my outgoings fast and I had nightmare visions of a huge £1 per GB bill dropping through the door and giving me more hassle.

The homehub thing is strange.  I very much doubt any of my neighbours have hacked my router.  I have been using fon on my own hub to keep my usage down and that's all I can think it is. 

The 1.3GB upload on the hub would actually tally with my fon use because I was torrenting.

Oh well, I will keep a close eye on it now.  It seems to randomly reset anyway which makes it difficult. 

Hi.

Indeed the hub may well show BTFon usage, but certainly shows BTVision, digital vault and BBTalk usage - even though these are exempt from the actual usage.

You need to be a bit careful, because the extra usage is £5 for 5GB - if your usage is showing 78GB for the month before changing to Option 1, then that's pretty high to go from unlimited to option 1.

0 Ratings
Ewaawoowaa
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 10

I can adjust my usage accordingly.  Im making full use of my fon minutes for a start.

0 Ratings
Ewaawoowaa
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 10

Quelle surprise!

Despite the assurances from customer services that the usage monitor would be updated by monday, it is still showing as me being 80 GB over my limit.

I can't trust a word they say.  So now I suppose this month is going to go down as me being over my limit even though I am not.

Can any of the moderators here do anything about it? 

0 Ratings
WatchdogTS
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 10

Incorrect on the charge for excess usage, the first time you go over, no charge. The 2nd time you go over, you are charged £5.00 for every 5GB or part of 5GB used. For eg I was informed I was over in Dec 2011 for the first time ever in over 5 years of using BT BB. Then in Feb 2012 I was massively over, used 23GB purtting me 13GB over my usage allowance. Charge £15.00 

See my post about sky high usage, BT have done something at their end to screw option 1 users, I never had a problem with usage allowance in over 5 years, now I am getting 7GB advisory emails every month since Dec 2011.

I am supposed to have used 16GB in the space of 24 hrs for Feb 2012 😞

0 Ratings