cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Reactivate BT issued YouView box

I have a Youview box I had from BT. It came to the end of the contract and there was no pay-as-you-go option at the time. I didn't want to pay £4 just to buy one movie a month for £5. I cancelled the contract and have just used it as a Youview box for the past couple of years (including moving house, but staying with BT).

I've noticed they now have a free (per month) option that would let me rent new films and just pay for those. However BT say they can't activate it on an old Youview box - I'd have to have the new one (no hard drive on the free one, and I don't want two boxes).

Has anyoen got an out of contract Youview reactivated. Once upon a time you could buy a Youview in Currys and get that added to BT Player, surely it's just the same situation?

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 4

Re: Reactivate BT issued YouView box

@MountainMan101 wrote:

I have a Youview box I had from BT. It came to the end of the contract and there was no pay-as-you-go option at the time. I didn't want to pay £4 just to buy one movie a month for £5. I cancelled the contract and have just used it as a Youview box for the past couple of years (including moving house, but staying with BT).

I've noticed they now have a free (per month) option that would let me rent new films and just pay for those. However BT say they can't activate it on an old Youview box - I'd have to have the new one (no hard drive on the free one, and I don't want two boxes).

Has anyoen got an out of contract Youview reactivated. Once upon a time you could buy a Youview in Currys and get that added to BT Player, surely it's just the same situation?

Not too sure if they WILL allow you to start with an old box. probably would want to get some more money out of you, but there should be no technical reason to not allow you to restart a subscription without buying a new box.

If you had to have the new small Youview box  you could set it up on that and then swap your old box for it. It would not allow you to do anything which your subscription did not allow.

I have done something similar.

Had the BT Youview + box and a TV subscription which ended a few months ago.

Decided to come back to BT TV and took out a Starter sub which comes with the YOUVIEW Starter Box and I think a £35 charge.

Once it was up and running switched over and all is well.

I can record now ,but as I don't rent films from BT so not sure if that would still work for you.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 4

@MountainMan101 wrote:

I had the same. I wanted my old original bt issued recordable Youview box 'reused'.It will work whatever they tell you.

New (£35) non recordable box now under the stairs still in the cellophane wrapper.

BT Sport did not work after tv activation, but a 45 min call to India and a reset sorted it. All recordings also saved.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 4

@RJ414i wrote:

@MountainMan101 wrote:

I had the same. I wanted my old original bt issued recordable Youview box 'reused'.It will work whatever they tell you.

New (£35) non recordable box now under the stairs still in the cellophane wrapper.

BT Sport did not work after tv activation, but a 45 min call to India and a reset sorted it. All recordings also saved.

Just did a factory reset and BT sport worked

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings