cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ekimxonk
Beginner
Message 1 of 17

Reading Area - Home Hub 5 - Performance and Phone issues since I joined on Aug 29

Go to solution

Hi Folks

Looking for some advice.  Engineer installed Home Hub 5 on 29 Aug.  Engineer assured me that once the systems sorted themselves out, my speed would go from 15MB on installation to around 25MB

Instead of which speed dropped to 8MB and the Phone stopped ringing on incoming calls.  Called BT, sent an engineer who said it was the voltage thing at the exchange and he switched me to a different circuit.  Phone started ringing.  But still only 8 MB.

In addition, my wireless connections are fine, but my ethernet connection fails.  At which point, it seems I have to shutdown the Desktop (Windows 7 ) , and then re-start the Home Hub, and then switch on the Desktop - and it, more often than not comes back.  NIC drivers are up to date.

Today, phone rings continuously on an incoming call.  Incredible interference on the line.  Speed test shows...

8.04 MB from Exchange to House, 7.01 MB download.

Are these connected?  Anyone else had trouble connecting to Ethernet.  Any advice gratefully appreciated.

Regards

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
shirts
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 17

Re: Reading Area - Home Hub 5 - Performance and Phone issues since I joined on Aug 29

Go to solution

Good afternoon ekimxonk, and welcome to the forum.....

Was the installation carried out by an Openreach engineer or a sub-contractor ?

Can you put your telephone number into http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome and post the results (after removing your telephone number) ?

Can you log-in to your homehub and post the first 12 lines that show under the "helpdesk" tab, assuming that is, that you have a Homehub 5 ?

Can you carry out the "quiet line" test ? Using a corded phone plugged into the test socket on the master socket, dial 17070 and choose option 2. There should be no crackles, popping, buzzing, etc, in fact, it should be quiet........

If you found this post helpful, then please click the star on the left, after all, I'm only trying to help........Smiley Wink
0 Ratings
ekimxonk
Beginner
Message 3 of 17

Re: Reading Area - Home Hub 5 - Performance and Phone issues since I joined on Aug 29

Go to solution

Hi shirts

I believe it was a sub-contractor - white unmarked van.

Telephone

Featured ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)Availability Date  High Low High Low    
FTTC Range A (Clean)25.5185.13.3--Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted)20.5104.41.3--Available

WBC ADSL 2+Up to 1--1 to 5Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex MUp to 1Up to 0.51 to 5Available
ADSL MaxUp to 0.5--0.75 to 4Available
WBC Fixed Rate0.5 ----Available
Fixed Rate0.5 ----Available
Other Offerings
FTTP on Demand33030--Available
Fibre Multicast------Available
Copper Multicast------Available

Interestingly, the exchange to the home is now apparently happy - but I'm down to 6.9MB on BT Help app.

1. Product Name: HomeHub52.

Serial number: +076284+1414003738

3.Firmware version: v0.07.01.0235-BT (Type B)  Last updated [Unknown]

4. Board version: 01

5. VDSL uptime: 0 days, 00:18:39

6. Data Rate: 2429 / 8782

7. Maximum Data Rate: 3054 / 9698

8. Noise Margin: 6.7 / 5.2

9. Line Attenuation: 0.0 / 27.8

10. Signal Attenuation: 0.0 / 0.0

11. Data sent/received: 10.9 MB / 135.8 MB

12. Broadband username: bthomehub@btbroadband.com

Two further things that might be relevant.

1) The BT engineer who visited to mend the phone took the adsl filter of the socket. Said there was a built-in filter.

2) I have a grey box on the outside of the house which the phone line comes into.  It's probably 20 years old.  There are wires coming out of that for extensions in the kitchen and a bedroom.  So the externsions do not come out of the Master Socket - if that is what the sub-contractor installed.

Quiet line test makes exactly the same noise

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

0 Ratings
shirts
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 17

Go to solution

Does the grey box look like this ?

1339aad1246013653-high-attenuation-no-master-socket-xnte-wires.jpg

If you found this post helpful, then please click the star on the left, after all, I'm only trying to help........Smiley Wink
0 Ratings
shirts
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 17

Go to solution

It appears that you have had a sub-standard install, along with star wiring.........Smiley Sad

I have notified the moderators of your problems, and they will hopefully ask for your details in this thread.....

Once they have these details, then it can take a day or two for them to get back to you, however, they are VERY good at resolving problems such as yours, and give you just the one point of contact.......Smiley Wink 

Please keep us informed of your progress.......

Message 6 of 17

Go to solution

Hi ekimxonk,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting. If the extensions are not connected to the master socket it will most likely be the reason for these issues and I'm sorry about the poor start to your BT Infinity service.

Please use the 'contact the mods' link in my forum profile under the 'about me' section to send in your details and we'll get this sorted. You can find the link by clicking on my username.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
loanhead
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 17

Go to solution

@NeilO wrote:

Hi ekimxonk,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting. If the extensions are not connected to the master socket it will most likely be the reason for these issues and I'm sorry about the poor start to your BT Infinity service.

Please use the 'contact the mods' link in my forum profile under the 'about me' section to send in your details and we'll get this sorted. You can find the link by clicking on my username.

Thanks

Neil

Neil sorry for the thread hijack but how do I contact you? I have a thread ongoing here already and I am trying to get an engineer out, but Im not gettiing anywhere with the Indian BT help agents.

0 Ratings
dfenceman
Expert
Message 8 of 17

Go to solution

@loanhead wrote:

Neil sorry for the thread hijack but how do I contact you? I have a thread ongoing here already and I am trying to get an engineer out, but Im not gettiing anywhere with the Indian BT help agents.

You have to be invited by a mod

Best regards,
dfenceman
0 Ratings
ekimxonk
Beginner
Message 9 of 17

Go to solution

102small.jpg

Nope it's roughly 4 inches by 3 and plastic.

0 Ratings
ekimxonk
Beginner
Message 10 of 17

Go to solution

Shirts

Many thanks for your assistance.  I think I'd have gone bald without you! Smiley Happy

0 Ratings