cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beachyiow
Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Ready to Order but how do I know what speed my copper cable will support from FTTC?

Go to solution

Yay, tis an exciting day for me. I just found out they have fibre enabled my exchange. 

Im on the order page cos im switching to BT and its telling me I can get two packages. One with *upto 76 meg download which is the most expensive package or one with upto 36meg which is the cheaper unlimited package. 

Now, Im pretty savvy and know that the speed depends on the distance over the copper cables from the cabinet, the condition of the cables ect ect. 

Id there a way I can check how much speed my cables will carry before I order? 

I know on ADSL2 the max speed was 7meg. 

I dont want to order the expensive package when the 35 year old cables are not cabable of carrying that speed. 

I connect Wired & wireless. I connect directly to a Master Socket.(MS) I have no internal wires to test. I use no external filters as not needed with MK3 MS. I do not have a phone to test noise on the line. My home is 200m from my cabinet.
0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
jac_95
Guru
Guru
Message 2 of 9

Re: Ready to Order but how do I know what speed my copper cable will support from FTTC?

Go to solution

@Beachyiow

What does it say for your line here: http://dslchecker.bt.com/adsl ?

If it's FTTC in your area, it will have a FTTC A & B range.

If you don't have a BT Wholesale recognisable number try http://dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.AddressOutput

The number checker is more accurate than the Address version. However please take both results as a guide and the actual connection may be slightly higher or lower.

0 Ratings
Beachyiow
Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Re: Ready to Order but how do I know what speed my copper cable will support from FTTC?

Go to solution

Thanks Mr Guru,

I dont have a BT line right now as Im with Talk Talk so I used the other link and got this...  Wow Im pretty excited after years of 6Mps ... 

Wow does that mean I might be able to get 80 meg .. *swoons

original.png

I connect Wired & wireless. I connect directly to a Master Socket.(MS) I have no internal wires to test. I use no external filters as not needed with MK3 MS. I do not have a phone to test noise on the line. My home is 200m from my cabinet.
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

But do you actually need all that speed? Infinity1 might be plenty fast enough unless you are intending to regularly download multi Gb files or stream multiple HD movies simultaneously.

0 Ratings
Beachyiow
Contributor
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

Good point Licorice, 

Im just greedy for speed. when you have been playing games at 6meg and getting killed a lot the news that I can finally get speeds comparable to the rest of europe and the US has kinda overwhelmed me. 

Maybe I should try the cheaper package on a 12 month contract 

If my greed for speed persists maybe I could upgrade 

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

Sounds like a good plan.

0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution
It can certainly be sensible to start with Infinity 1 for a few reasons.

For unlimited data it's much cheaper than Infinity 2 (especially after initial discounts end).
You can even opt for the 20GB monthly allowance version which is even cheaper if you don't need unlimited data.
You can easily upgrade to Infinity 2 during your contract minimum term if necessary. BT are happy to take more money off you, just not less than initially agreed.
Your line would in theory be rock steady day after day synced at the 40Mbps cap without variation.

There are some downsides though.

You won't find out the fastest speed your line can actually support due to the 40Mbps cap. However the new Homehub 5 does now give an indication of this max in the stats.
You might miss out on the best possible new customer discounted period Infinity 2 savings if you start on Infinity 1 and then soon after upgrade.
Certain Infinity 1 packages still require you to pay an activation fee whereas it's normally waived for Infinity 2.
Infinity 2 comes with much more BT Cloud data storage.

I'm on a rock solid 40Mbps Infinity 1 connection with BT TV HD broadband channels and have had no reason to upgrade. Everyone needs to assess their own situation though.
0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

Oh, regarding playing online games, isn't it the latency rather than the data shovelling speed that's the important thing. I doubt you need to send/receive that much data (games are designed for ADSL users as well), but response times need to be fast?

I expect latency would be the same for VDSL Infinity 1 or 2. No idea if it would be better than ADSL though. You would think so if the copper section is much shorter but I'm no expert on that.

0 Ratings
Beachyiow
Contributor
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

Hi Mr Umpire, Thank you for your input. 

You are correct about the ping ( Latency) . Mostly, on ADSL2 I get stable pings of 30 or so .. However , I have had some horrifying ping tests into the 1000.

9.05.15.PNG

0 Ratings