cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
loxleyb
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 32

Really slow broadband all of a sudden.

Chatted to a bloke from BT both through the online chat and again on the phone about this issue and he said he would change some settings his end to try and increase our broadband speed. The broadband used to be fine, could stream videos just fine, browse the internet without any issues then all of a sudden the speed has dropped to below 1mbps (582kbps using the speedtester.bt.com).

The speedtester itself said that an "acceptable" speed should be between 600kb-7.5mbps. Frankly that is a bit of a joke as 600kbps is near enough where it is currently and even the 3G signal my iPhone is getting here loads web pages faster.

Just to reiterate, the speed was fine up until about 4-5 days ago.

Wiring inside house hasn't changed, don't have any extension sockets using homehub 2.0.

ADSL line status

Connection information
Line stateConnected
Connection time0 days, 0:26:40
Downstream8,064 Kbps
Upstream448 Kbps

ADSL settings
VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationITU-T G.992.1
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)15.6 dB / 31.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)21.0 dB / 11.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up)19.8 dBm / 12.1 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local)0
Loss of Signal (Local)0
Loss of Power (Local)0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)0 / 0
CRC Errors (Down/Up)0 / N/A
HEC Errors (Down/Up)N/A / 0
Error Seconds (Local)0
Please Help!!!
0 Ratings
31 REPLIES 31
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 32

Re: Really slow broadband all of a sudden.

can you run btspeedtester and post the results please

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 32

hi just leave your hub connected for the next 3-5 days and your ip profile will rise automatically
0 Ratings
loxleyb
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 32

Says:
You appear to be logged in as bthomehub@btbroadband.com. In order to run the next test you must login as speedtest@speedtest_domain.

Please wait while you are redirected..

Do I need to wait an hour before I can run the test again?

I can remember the results for the most part.

0 Ratings
loxleyb
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 32

will this actually make the broadband faster? and if it changed to what it is currently automatically what is there to stop it happening again?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 32

yes it has been caused by hub disconnections your hub is only showing a 26 minute connection as to the speed test yes you need to wait the hour please
0 Ratings
loxleyb
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 32

I reset the hub in the hope it would help make the speed faster. prior to that i had a connection time of about 3 days.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 32

resetting it has now started the time period again you must not restart the hub at all for the next 3-5 days
0 Ratings
loxleyb
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 32

After no luck whatsoever with the people on the online chat help system and after 3 calls to the customer help number I have finally been told that there is nothing wrong with my houses wiring, router etc etc. But the problem seems to lie (after the fourth line test in as many days) on the line between my house and the exchange!!!

How is it the other people that conducted line tests couldn't see that or did they not both and just spout some BS at me as they couldn't be bothered to actually get to the bottom of this issue?! Perplexes me how the first 3 line tests I was kept on the line whilst they carried out the test but on the fourth time of asking I was told that whilst a line test was underway I should not use the landline at all...

Pretty shoddy customer service to me from the first bunch of people I spoke to. Not happy.

Now I have been told that I will have to wait another 2-3 days until and engineer examines the line and possibly even longer after that until the problem gets fixed and its been broken for over a week now!! What are we BT customers actually paying for?!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 32

is it possible for you to post your router stats again as you have reset and also run btspeedtester and post the results please

btspeedtester didn't work for meas far as download speed but it did give the correct profile

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings