Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 23

Really slow speed

Hi,

I recently had a problem with my phone line where the line was faint (eventually dying completely) and the broadband kept dropping. The engineer came and sorted that problem, which was down to the wiring becoming old and he also replaced the sockets (upstairs and downstairs).

So, the phone line is fine now but the broadband speed is rediculously slow ... like being back on dial up! Here are the stats anyway:

ADSL line status

Connection information
Line stateConnected
Connection time0 days, 5:27:04
Downstream283 Kbps
Upstream440 Kbps

ADSL settings

VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationITU-T G.992.5
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)27.4 dB / 30.5 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)30.0 dB / 16.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up)0.0 dBm / 12.9 dBm

0 Ratings
22 REPLIES 22
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 23

Re: Really slow speed

did he replace the master with a filtered faceplate similar to this original.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 23

No, it was just like the old one.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 23

are you connected to the test socket behind the bottom half of master?  did the engineer remove the bellwire from terminal 3 in both sockets

bellwire removal

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 23

Nothing is connected to the main socket. But the socket upstairs is where the phone and broadband are connected. He did something with the wiring but not sure what? He also tested the line/signal and said it was perfect. Do you want me to check to see if the bellwire has been removed?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 23

engineer didn't  'move' the master so upstairs is now master and then fit a filtered faceplate for router and phone?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 23

Humm, I dont think so ... is there a way I can check? Pretty sure he didnt though because the majority of the tests he did were on the downstairs one - where the connection actually comes in.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 23

surprised engineer didn't at least fit an NTE5 master where the upstairs extension would be connected to the back of the bottom half

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 23

yes make sure the bell wire is removed from all sockets
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 23

OK, I just checked and the bellwire has been removed from both sockets.

0 Ratings