cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 8

Rebooting Home Hub

Any issues reporting or disconnecting home hub for a while ?

I'll be leaving the openreach router alone.. So I'm assuming it won't affect my connection etc.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 2 of 8

Re: Rebooting Home Hub

I read on here that reseting the Router won't make a difference to the DSLAM, but resetting the Openreach modem does and will affect your Infinity profile.

Would be good if a mod can confirm this.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 3 of 8

@liquidfusionv wrote:

I read on here that reseting the Router won't make a difference to the DSLAM, but resetting the Openreach modem does and will affect your Infinity profile.

Would be good if a mod can confirm this.

This is correct, but others have reported restarting the HomeHub does affect their IP profile. I'm one of those people, they also say you shouldn't recieve a new IP when restarting the HomeHub which I do and I know a small variety of other people that this happens to as well.

If this helped you please click the Star beside my name.

If this answered your question please click "Mark as Accepted Solution" below.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 4 of 8

For me every time I restart my router I am 100% guaranteed my IP address changes.

I know this because I run speed checks regularly, and for some reason my IP keeps changing several times a day.

However my downstream/upstream speed doesn't change and kept at a constant steady.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 5 of 8

The sync speed is controlled by DLM.  The IP (BRAS) profile is set to match the sync speed when pppoe connection from router to exchange is established, eg when the router is restarted (or disconnected/reconnected).  Therefore the IP profile will change on router restart if the sync speed has changed since the last router reconnect.

The speed you will get at any time is (approximately) the lower of the sync speed and IP profile.  Thus if the sync speed has dropped, the lowering of the IP profile won't lower your speed; it will already have been lowered by the lower sync speed.  If the sync speed has been raised, the reconnection will increase the profile and your speed will increase.  That is why it is worth disconnecting/reconnecting the router every day or so if you experienced a DLM speed drop and you are expecting it to increase again.

In general, a reconnection of the router will always change your IP address.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 8

Does signal to noise ratio have any affect on the profile given?

Reason why I ask is because before I had Infinity installed, I had BT Broadband 2, there were some issues with my actual telephone line to the poll which had to be physically changed. The SNR had been increased for stability but I don't know if it was ever lowered again.

I know that a higher SNR = slower sync speeds for ADSL, but is this the same for VDSL?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 8

OK, so does this mean turn the HH3 off for 10 minutes, could affect the connection ?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 8 of 8

I know that a higher SNR = slower sync speeds for ADSL, but is this the same for VDSL?  Yes.

OK, so does this mean turn the HH3 off for 10 minutes, could affect the connection ?  Doing things to the HomeHub won't affect the connection in the long term.  It may cause a change to the IP profile, but that won't to any harm and may do good.

0 Ratings