Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Received call from BT saying YouView box 'hacked'

Go to solution

Hi

My son answered home phone today, caller claimed to be BT (call was from 00 98 31859 - Iran ?!?) and said our YouView box had been 'illegally hacked' and was going to be out of action for a few days. The box is up and running connected to router but I can't watch anything either broadband or arial. Guides, iPlayer index etc works but screen blank if I try to watch anything. No error messages. TV signal fine if I plug directly into TV

Caller said they'd call back tonight after 6 but so far they haven't.

No emails or any other notifications of problem, but when I login to bt.com and use the trouble shooter tool, I see that somebody has raised a fault today against my TV service - 'You've already raiseed a fault with this TV', there's a fault ref: VOLxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. Clicking 'Track this fault' just takes me back to the 'Fault tracking and repair' page and I keep going round that loop.

So is this a scam or a genuine issue?

Tried phoning BT but not prepared to spend hours getting nowhere.

Thanks

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 5

Re: Received call from BT saying YouView box 'hacked'

Go to solution

Managed to get some detail on the fault:

"TV Problem

Further diagnostic tests began at the time and date shown to find the problem with your TV service. Once we know more we will contact you using your contact details above and once we have fixed your problem you will see an update on this page. Thanks for your patience"

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

Do you use same password for multiple web pages? My twitter account was hacked because I used to use the same password and login name every where. Once any site become hacked and they decrypt the passwords then it's game over. Change password on BT and ignore emails, the BT support are in India and they would not emall you out of the blue any way, you need to phone them etc

0 Ratings
Highlighted
BT Sport Expert
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

Hi,

sorry to hear about this, under normal circumstance I do not believe BT would contact like this from an Iranian number.

I am looking into this with the customer teams and will get back to you shortly

0 Ratings
Highlighted
BT Sport Expert
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

Hi,

The fault was auto-created after you completed some diagnostics for your TV issue. The phone call appears to be a scammer and coincidental.

Our fault teams are looking into your issues and will respond accordingly