cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pghardy
Beginner
Message 1 of 19

Recent change to spam filtering - diverting almost everything

What has changed with email filtering in past week? My wife and I are getting almost no email into our inboxes, but instead its going to our spam folders, even from regular senders.

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19

Re: Recent change to spam filtering - diverting almost everything

Have you been migrated to the new email system (Critical Path? - or was that bought up be another company?) or still with BTYahoo? That might be significant.

BT email is a total mess. I was told I'd be migrated months ago, so far back I've forgotten just when, and I'm suffering the current wave of password failures, slow logins, mails sometimes going to the wrong folder (IMAP and Thunderbird on a desktop).

One day I'll ditch it and use another provider for email, as some wise folk on here suggest. It's just the pain of letting all contacts know that delays this, and planning how to phase in the change.

0 Ratings
pghardy
Beginner
Message 3 of 19

I've been on BT Mail rather than BT Yahoo mail for many months, so it's not that.

0 Ratings
nik-halton
Contributor
Message 4 of 19

I've just discovered a problem similar to this with my BT Mail.

when I migrated to BT Mail from Yahoo a year or so ago, I configured my spam filters to filter out nothing and direct all my Email to my inbox.

I download my emails to outlook and run filters and rules there. I don't check webmail.

I happened to log in to webmail to check something this evening and noticed over 20 emails in my spam folder this evening. I have not put any of them there.

All but 1 of them were legitimate emails.

I've spent over an hour on the phone and webchat to tech support this evening trying to understand what's going on, but I'm still not clear what is going on.

However it does suggests that someone - CriticalPath or BT - is still filtering my Email for spam. And that:
1. They are doing a pretty rubbish job of it, judging by the number of false positives
2. They are doing an even worse job of it, judging by the amount of obvious spam still getting through to me
3. There seems to be nothing I can do to stop this filtering.

Does anyone have any info or advice on who or what is applying the filtering, why it's so useless and how - if at all - I can completely turn it off so 100% of my email hits my inbox, as I thought I had requested?

Given contents of the SPAM folder have a timed auto-delete, I am now concerned about how much legitimate personal Email I've completely missed because of this filtering in the year or so since I last checked webmail.

Beyond telling me to remember to check my spam folder on webmail every so often, tech support didn't have much to say.

0 Ratings
pghardy
Beginner
Message 5 of 19

This is still happening - today 24out of 26 incoming email were diverted to my spam folder!

0 Ratings
pghardy
Beginner
Message 6 of 19

And still happening today. 25 out of 28 emails diverted to Spam folder. Can anyone at BT suggest why?

0 Ratings
Andy_N
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 19

@pghardy wrote:

And still happening today. 25 out of 28 emails diverted to Spam folder. Can anyone at BT suggest why?

Hi.

There was a spam problem a few weeks back that particularly affected users on BTMail - from your information it might appear that Openwave have gone over the top and changed a configuration to be too aggressive.

As yet there aren't really many other similar reports - so it could be an account issue that might only affect a tiny few (which is still bad of course).

It could even be that other users are unaware of missing emails, so anyone reading that may have had a reduced volume of emails - perhaps check their spam folder (which is usually via webmail using a browser rather than a mail client on a computer or tablet).

0 Ratings
mitsumike41
Contributor
Message 8 of 19

I had a spam issue with my BT Mail and it was handled by Robbie Mac. For a month or so it worked very well, my spam folder regularly contained genuine spam messages but my inbox was clean. That is till a few days ago when I started to get a new batch of spam, all of which contain a capital letter in the subject line (A, D, G, S etc). These are all in the inbox until I delete them at a rate of about 10-15 per day. A great pity as all was well for that brief period? A.

0 Ratings
pghardy
Beginner
Message 9 of 19

Things have got better, but it's odd - some days most good emails end up in inbox, and just a few spam messages in the spam box. the next day 24 good emails end up in the spam box and 2 in the inbox. It does look to me as if one of the BT mail server cluster machines is misbehaving, and it depends on which machine I connect to.

0 Ratings
macspot
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 19

Can I add my name to the list?

I have a second email on Yahoo that I have set to forward to my BT mail and everything that is forwarded is put into the spam folder, even after I added the address to the Safe Senders list. And I'm finding all sorts of non spam mails from sources I'm happy to see, being moved to the spam folder. In frustration I've switched spam filtering off. Very poor.

0 Ratings