cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tarmanel
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Recent degradation of line speed

Hi, I live about 300m from the local exchange as the cable flows, about 100m as the crow flies and have long enjoyed 8.1Mb BB from BT - with no problems at all streaming BBC iPlayer both at normal resolutions and at 720p and even 1080P - same for Youtube.

Over the last couple of months though I have noticed a slight and sustained decrease to 7.9Mb and I can no longer stream or consequently download at even 720P any more (was just loss of 1080P for a few weeks). I am now regularly getting errors from iPlayer on wired and wireless machines saying my internet speed is too slow to support streaming - the BBC tool to analyse this (admittedly it's going to be limited in accuracy) is telling me I have a download speed of 2.5Mb and a streaming spead of about 1.8Mb - not sufficient. This is also a problem for streaming films on my BT Vision box (first generation box as we were very early adopters). Now I know that as time goes on and the Connecting Cheshire and BT FTTC the signal is expected to degrade for those of us who remain on copper wire ADSL but this seems a wee bit strange. Are there any known issuse with line noise etc in the 01606 area? (I've done all the usual, reset, check cables, check sockets all fine, same line speed etc).

Stats posted below:

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 days, 00:07:56
Downstream:7.938 Mbps
Upstream:448 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):13.1 dB / 27.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):13.2 dB / 6.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up):19.9 dBm / 12.1 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up):1 / 1
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):1 / 1
0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Recent degradation of line speed

You have the maximum connection speed for adslmax 7.938mb - have you changed router as the previous router showed 8128kb

Can you run btspedtester and when first test completes run the diagnostic test and post the results. This will show your profile which should be 7.15mb

Connection time is only minutes is that due to manual reset?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 9

can you please post back the results of the BT Speedtest http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ once the first test completes run the further diagnostics test then post the results also can you check the quiet line test dial 17070 option 2 you should here no noise

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

fibre services will have no effect on your ADSL services as they are totally different products
0 Ratings
Tarmanel
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 9

Hi John - according to Openreach themselves this is not utterly true.  The do indeed have no DIRECT impact, however as more people switch over, fewer copper connections are available on the main trunk systems, and contention increases, reducing speed.

Secondly I will happily dispell the max speed on this hub being 7.9Mb - on the self same screen at all other times it was previously 8.1 or even 8.2Mb. I did used to have screen shot proof but have since rebuilt my PC.

Ignore the low uptime, I know all about the restarting and synchro time etc - I had restarted it to check errors etc. The numbers did not change on the up/downstream speeds before or after the restart - I ran a consistency check.

Happy to post the speed test however it is not properly accurate. The only way it can be is if I have the kit developed by Sam Knows installed at the home end of the connection. Any other process relies on methods proven inaccurate several years ago.

The numbers from the BT Wholesale test are:

Download speed Mbps - 6.24

Upload speed Mbps - 0.36

Ping Latency 40ms

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

Depending which hh you use the reported max speed for adslmax was 8128 kb which is the equivalent of other routers showing7.938 mb

As you are on adslmax you need to run btspeedtester and when first test completes run diagnostic test as that is only place you will see your ip profile

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

unless using fibre to premises all fibre to cabinet users still maintain a copper voice circuit over the entire network hence my earlier comment they are unrelated

The BT wholesale speedtest is the only accepted speed test for the purpose of fault finding over the wholesale network and is used by all isp's with the exception of cable and LLU providers as it is the only speedtest that shows the connections IP profile
0 Ratings
Tarmanel
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 9

I take some of your points there John - I understand how the industry works - stilll doesn't mean the tester is accurate though!

Regarding the HH - it's the same one I was previously seeing the higher figure on. Notably, this morning, when the network was quiet still, we could stream at 1080p no problem - says it all reallly!

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

accurate or no it is the only one that is accepted for fault finding without your IP Profile there are no other suggestions that can be made the choice is yours about the speedtester but the Wholesale checker is the only one that shows it
0 Ratings