cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 211 of 1,014

Re: Recent online gaming ping spikes when streaming Netflix

@NilSatisOptimumwrote:

Excuse me, what are you implying?

I can assure you my own setup does not experience the lag spike, yes it increase as various devcies and servcies are connected, that is to be expected.  However, nothing compared to BT Home hub in default settings. 

You are suggesting the ping spikes only occur when using the standard BT equipment when this simply isn't true. Which you would know, if you read this thread in its entirety. 

The symptoms of this issue can be eased by decent QoS but it's certainly not a full fix and would involve everyone having to purchase 3rd party equipment instead of using the provided BT equipment. 

I suspect you have some decenty QoS management implemented on your own equipment, which is why the problem doesn't show compared to using the BT stuff. 

0 Ratings
Message 212 of 1,014

For me the ping spikes are very subtle and easily over looked, infact if it wasn't for the regular flashing of the network icon in Overwatch and a few bad days where I thought wtf is all this stuttering about I might not even be here. In game I see what looks like dropped frames or stutters and it's on a varying scale of how aggesively my connection is being used.

Netflix and Tidal tend to be bursty in requesting data, they definitely don't use any where near the bandwidth of the connection but they buffer up data quickly to ensure smooth play back. I limited Tidal to as little at 350KB/s and still had ping spikes / noticable game stutter.

Indeed load on your network will affect your ping but it shouldn't be getting pushed into the 100's of ms when you're requesting data at a fraction of the bandwidth of your connection. Yes limiting using Qos or netlimiter will help but I don't want a connection that is only just hanging together I want one that works properly.

My tests on a Virgin connection proves my BT connection has major problems, no ping spikes at all using Virgin.

Does anyone in BT read these forums because to me they've got a mini crisis happening here and no one from BT appears to be bothered or offering an explanation.

0 Ratings
Message 213 of 1,014

Maybe it's about time a bt moderator took an interest in this. It is primarily a customer page but this problem needs more attention.
0 Ratings
Message 214 of 1,014

Definitely. Were well over 20 pages and not having any discourse with actual staff despite a few people actually successfully diagnosing problems where engineers cant.

If it's happening to us, it's happening to thousands and all of them will switch when it comes to renewal if it isn't fixed by then. Let alone however much they're spending on sending engineered out
0 Ratings
Message 215 of 1,014

Well I'm going to phone up again on Thursday after the engineer's results should definitely be available on my account. 

I'll see where I end up, I'm guessing another engineer will be sent out haha

0 Ratings
Message 216 of 1,014

Just got off the phone with BT, basically they're not willing to budge on the exit fees, they're providing the advertised speed so there's no problem.

I don't think Ofcom will be much help, I'm going tackle this in terms of false advertising and involve trading standards, quote "Perfect for streaming, gaming, watching and downloading in HD on multiple devices", as below that is far from perfect for gaming...

PingPlotterBT.png

0 Ratings
Message 217 of 1,014

Dont speak to faults team, you need to raise a complaint about your service, speed inconsistent and latency etc. Then insist on speaking with a manager, normal operators cant do anything apart from send engineers or tell you they cant see any fault. Only managers can autherise a free exit to the contract as far as i know. I have another call back tomorrow afternoon so i will update with my progress afterwards.
0 Ratings
Message 218 of 1,014

The operator I spoke to talked to his manager, that was the response I got, so  I'm currently writing an email to my local trading standards officier and I'll also involve Ofcom.

0 Ratings
Message 219 of 1,014

Ofcom will unlikely get involved however i will be demanding a free exit tomorrow or a deadlock letter to get the obundsman service involved as bt clearly dont know how to fix this issue yet arent willing to uphold our consumer and contractual rights. The service has, in our case, significantly changed from what we had when we agreed to the contract.
0 Ratings
Message 220 of 1,014

I've gone down the route of misselling via Ofcom and false advertising with trading standards, that's what I told them I was going to do and the BT rep said they don't mind - go ahead etc..

I think I'll also involve the ombudsman service as well, busy night for me lol

0 Ratings