Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Yellsie
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 18

Recently BB speed has decreased

Hi

I've always found my BT BB speed not up to par with my previous provider talktalk.

Anyway, recently I have noticed a drop in speed on my BB, so much that a friend of mine thought I was on dial up haha....

It used to be around the 17-18mb mark, but I have noticed recently that my internet connection icon in the taskbar is only registering speeds of 14.3mb.

I know this may still seem pretty quick whem compared with other speeds, but it does feel like a really slow connection, and have noticed that when I try to watch match of the day online it buffers every minute or so which is rubbish!!

I have copied my latest hub manager connection details - I have reset the router to see if that would improve things. I will give it a few days (if it stays connected) to see if things improve

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 days, 00:26:49
Downstream:13.99 Mbps
Upstream:1.148 Mbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type:Fast
Noise margin (Down/Up):14.8 dB / 6.7 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):9.4 dB / 5.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up):18.3 dBm / 11.8 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up):0 / 32
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 7
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):0 / 0

Not sure why there is this drop in BB speed?

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 18

Re: Recently BB speed has decreased

Hi Welcome to the forums

Here is a basic guide to getting help from the community members done by CL Keith Please read through the link posted Getting Forum Members Help

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

once you have posted the information asked for then the community members can help you more

Thank You

This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 18

Probably just a burst of noise, or the DLM making some adjustments. Its best to leave it alone to sort itself out, as restarts and disconnects will be seen as a fault, and make things worse.

If you do a BT Speedtest, then do not reset the router as it says in the instructions.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Yellsie
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 18

Hi Please find the results of the BT speed test this morning. Also attached is the connection information for my router (HH3). I can see from the IP profile my speed has been limited to 12.64 which is way under what it should be/has been and can handle......

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:3 days, 17:02:24
Downstream:13.99 Mbps
Upstream:1.148 Mbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type:Fast
Noise margin (Down/Up):15.0 dB / 6.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):9.4 dB / 5.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up):18.3 dBm / 11.8 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up):40 / 63
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):71 / 17
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):39 / 17

. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download  Speed
 12.31 Mbps

0 Mbps21 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 12.31 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4 Mbps-21 Mbps.
 IP Profile for your line is - 12.64 Mbps

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed
 0.95 Mbps

0 Mbps0.83 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.95Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps

We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time.
It is possible that any problem you are currently, or had previously experienced may have been caused by traffic congestion on the Internet or by the server you were accessing responding slowly.
If you continue to encounter a problem with a specific server, please contact the administrator of that server in the first instance.

Please visit FAQ section if you are unable To understand the test results.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 18

Your connection speed is 13.99Mbs at the moment, and should eventually increase, as there is still a 15.dB margin.

It may take another week for any automatic adjustments to be made.

If the connection speed does not increase, then disconnect the ADSL input for about 20 seconds, then reconnect it again.

That will force the circuit to retrain again, and should reconnect at a higher speed.

Your IP profile follows the connection speed, not the other way round.

0 Ratings
Yellsie
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 18

So I shouldn't reset router, just disconnect the ADSL line in to the router?

Thanks, I'll wait for a week and see what happens.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 18

@Yellsie wrote:
So I shouldn't reset router, just disconnect the ADSL line in to the router?

Thanks, I'll wait for a week and see what happens.

Its just much quicker that way, and is less disruptive, and has the same effect.

Leave it a week before you try it, you may find that it sorts itself out before then.

You may not find that it makes any difference, as the exchange has already decided on the maximum speed for your line.

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 8 of 18

With respect to Keith's comment, I doubt it's burst noise, it looks to me like something has changed at home, possibly with cables or sockets, placement of router or something that can cause a profound increase in SNRm, and big change in INP. Have you changed anything lately? .... reorganised stuff? .... only you will know. If the answer is no, and the phone line is quiet, you need to read up on impulse noise, and getting rid of it. Only then will the broadband run at its most effective rate. You will increase throughput dramatically if the margin comes down to a healthy level. (4-6db)
0 Ratings
Guru
Message 9 of 18

Re- the above post // Appologies, I never noticed the downstream loop loss ... there is INP spare, Keith is correct, and seeing as you have fastpath, the mux is trying to give you the fastest connection, there are some errors but not too many. Give it time. sorry Keith 🙂 ps it's not unusual to get a hot virtual path sometimes, depending on your exchange location, and is usually temporary as bandwidth is utilised across the backhaul. But at 14mb I wouldn't worry.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 18

Roger,

I did wonder what you were on about. If you get a large number of line disturbances in a short period of time, the DLM will act quite quickly and drop the connection speed to a lower profile band, so the available margin rises.

WPI (Working Party Interruptions) are a very common cause of this, as well as users disconnecting or restarting their home hubs.

Unfortunately the BT speed tester tells them to do this before running a speed test, which can make a slow connection speed even worse Smiley Sad

It seems to take quite a few days for the DLM to release the circuit out of its low speed banding.

0 Ratings