cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Guru
Message 11 of 18

Re: Recently BB speed has decreased

You're right Keith, but for one thing. The latest ADSL2 line algorithm now caters for quick and frequent restarting of hubs and routers ... and frankly takes no notice of it. (within reason). I was going to suggest to the OP to wait a week or so as stated already ... and if it hasn't restarted or increased connection speed via DLM ... to unplug the router (hub) and go to bed. The following morning disconnect any phones on the BB line and computer network cable and then reconnect the powered router to the network socket. Once its initialised connect the computer and check the connection. Do this between 10:00am and 13:00hrs. The reason for the phones disconection, is that sometimes ADSL2 doesn't appreciate some "cheap phones" ... and as such they can in fact impart noise back down the metallic path, during negotiation. (at certain freqs)
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 18

Talking about phones, did you read this thread?

http://community.bt.com/t5/Other-BB-Queries/Getting-the-dial-tone-on-my-landline-using-a-DECT-phone-...

Take a read when you get a sparee 10 minutes, its an interesting problem.

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 13 of 18

That's a goody mate .... 🙂 My brother in law had a phone problem ... it came from China and disrupted his ADSL admirably ... I stood on it and lent him a BT phone (that also come from China:) ) .... and his line improved. Getting back to the burst noise ADSL2 algo would "clear" from burst noise in less than 3 days, as in for example, a thunder storm. It doesn't usually band profiles for anything up to 15db anyway.
0 Ratings
Yellsie
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 18

Hi guys

Most of what you have just said means nothing to me lol, sorry my bad....

Nothing has changed in our house that I canm think of in the last few months, and certainly not since I have noticed the slower BB speed.

I will wait a few more days and see how things go.

Thanks so far guys.

0 Ratings
Yellsie
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 18

Ok, after about 12 days of constant connection and no speed improvement, have decided to take lead out for 20 odd seconds, and performed the speed test and am posting connection settings again.

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state: Connected
Connection time: 0 days, 00:00:25
Downstream: 13.99 Mbps
Upstream: 1.117 Mbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI: 0/38
Type: PPPoA
Modulation: G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type: Fast
Noise margin (Down/Up): 10.4 dB / 6.3 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up): 9.5 dB / 5.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up): 18.3 dBm / 12.0 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up): 0 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up): 0 / 0
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up): 0 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 508 / 231

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download Speed
12.41 Mbps

0 Mbps 21 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 12.41 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4 Mbps-21 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 12.64 Mbps

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed
0.9 Mbps

0 Mbps 0.83 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.9Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps

We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time.
It is possible that any problem you are currently, or had previously experienced may have been caused by traffic congestion on the Internet or by the server you were accessing responding slowly.
If you continue to encounter a problem with a specific server, please contact the administrator of that server in the first instance.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 18

no real change seen the noise margin change can sometimes take longer then 12 days to reset automatically at this time your line appears to be performing well
0 Ratings
Yellsie
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 18

It's just annoying as my BB when browsing feels like I am running dial up.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 18

there is certainly is nothing wrong with the connection to cause that problem I know you may do the following but have you tried clearing the temporary Internet files and carried out a defrag of the hard drive on the pc as that can cause web browsing to run slow
0 Ratings