cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ed_Rooney
Contributor
Message 1 of 33

Recently joined BT Broadband... Are these super slow connections what I can expect?!

I have moved my BB from SKY to BT around a week ago.

Got home yesterday, plugged in the home hub and it all worked a treat!

Then I connected to the web.... Google page... logo was loading the logo line by line... reminiscent of my days with the BBC Model B or ZX Spectrum... totally NOT what I was expecting!

I did a speed test at www.speedtest.net and the avergae results are:-

DL=102kbps,  UL=351kbps,  Ping=105ms

I have logged in to the hub using 192.168.1.254 and got the following results:-

Noise Margin = 7.9dB / 15.0dB

Line attenuation = 64.6dB / 31.5dB

Output power = 15.9dB / 12.4dB

I hope all that makes sense to someone?

I have called BT, 0800 111 4567, which I thought had UK call centres, spoke to some guy that repeated every question I asked and didnt really offer much help... so I tried again and this time got someone who at least I could understand... a little bit!

He told me that my service needed 10 days to settle down and that my IP profile was being set up.

So, I now have super slow broadband, albeit I was only ever promised up to 2MB anyway, but I am getting a speed which is far worse than my mobile phone provides me with!

Am I missing something?!!!

Can anyone offer any help?

I am off to check what the cool off period is in the small print because waiting around seems like a delaying tactic to me so I get locked in to a cr@p contract.

Any feedback greatfully received

0 Ratings
32 REPLIES 32
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 33

Re: Recently joined BT Broadband... Are these super slow connections what I can expect?!

can you post all of the adsl stats from your hub - you may have to 'show detail' to get the errors at the bottom.  can you also run btspeedtester and post the results.

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Ed_Rooney
Contributor
Message 3 of 33

Re: Recently joined BT Broadband... Are these super slow connections what I can expect?!

Hi there

Thank you for the response. I have been following the saga of this poor chap too (http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-Speed-Connection-Issues/Virtually-unusable-broadband/td-p/148793/page/... and see you are actively involved in resolving issues. I hope I manage to get my problem resolved too 🐵

Thank you in advance for all / any assistance

speedtest.net is giving results now of :-

Ping=100ms,  DL=326kbps, UL=349kbps  -  still painfully slow!

The results of the www.speedtester.bt.com are as follows :-

SpeedTest 260311-1220.png

Home Hub is showing :-

hub results 260311-1231.png

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 33

if you are new to BT then you need to just leave hub alone for first 10 days as it is in training mode.  during that time it will restart as the automatic equipment in the exchange tries to find the best stable connection for your line.  BT won't really help until the 10 day period has passed.

Best connection is in the test socket if you have one but it does mean any extension sockets in your home won't work for as long as you are connected to the test socket

The saga of the link you gave continues

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Ed_Rooney
Contributor
Message 5 of 33

I am in the test socket of the Master so I know I am basically on the end of the line.

Lets see what the next few days kick out 🐵

Just had a very interesting convo with a BT engineer (privately, not through BT) he is telling me India can increase speeds and can do that quite instantly... its down to the exchange equipment that monitors line quality every night!

Not sure BT would ever admit to any of that.

I see the other saga continues... I will feedback as I get any updates 🐵

Thanks again

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 33

correct the exchange equipment monitors the line 24/7 and sets the best speed incorrect India cannot increase the speeds they have no control they are a call centre the work is carried out in the UK at the exchanges as imjolly says you are in a 10day line training period during which time you should you should leave your hub connected 24/7 with no resets by your self the exchange equipment will reset if nessesary to give you the maximum speed your line will support your line is 4.6km long and a perfect line could support 1.7mb so you have chance of a speed increase if left to settle on its own your hub shows that it only been up under 2 hours if you have been restarting it to try and get a speed increase then please do not do it leave well alone it is a matter of patience while it settles
Ed_Rooney
Contributor
Message 7 of 33

Thank you gents. I have done as you have suggested not touched the router and the last few days I have experienced download speeds of 1.4MB and uploads of only 300KB.

Just 1 hour ago I noticed this had slowed again. Having done a speediest I am now back to the 300K I was 10 days ago. Spoke to India for a good 40 minutes this evening and got nowhere

Needless to say I am extremely unhappy. It seems that I have the same problem most on here have and that is we are experiencing a second rate service from the only supplier I have a choice of going with.

NOTHING HAS CHANGED in the house before you ask. It's the same socket I am connected to, same device, same filter, same test socket and nothing else apart from a phone plugged in.

John46 you clearly have some inside connection because you have detail specific to my line so I am holding out hope that you can assist me. If all else fails and this continues I will just break my contract with bt.

Here's hoping!
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 33

now your training period is over can you post the stats again and also btspeedtester results - see if anything change after all the resets

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 33

Hi no I have no inside information on your line the information comes from this web site that is full of usefull information www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/index.htm
Well worth reading
0 Ratings
Raven2010
Contributor
Message 10 of 33

welcome to the **bleep** that is fondly referred to as BT, this is why after 3 months of nothing but problems i canceled my contract with them (yes u can do this, a contract is a 2 way arrangement) and moved to sky where i have no problems what so ever.

0 Ratings