cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 13

Recently moved in and inherited bodged wiring.

Hope someone at BT can help, we recently moved into our property and had BT Infinity 2 installed, we were predicted to get about 60Mbps but struggled to get much more than 35Mbps.

I then noticed that the previous owner had wired an extension (now redundant) into the Main BT Termination Box (circa 1969) that feeds the BT master socket that was converted into an infinity socket.

I have cut this wire off in the socket and the speed has improved a great deal and its running at roughly 50Mbps now but i would rather have the remains of this bodge (consisting of a terminal block wrapped in insulating tape) removed completely.

The problem now is that because i get near 50Mbps its not considered a fault and would be a chargeable visit, the kicker is they said if i hadnt cut this wire off and the speed was still 35Mbps they would send an engineer free to sort this out!

I really dont want to start undoing all the wiring modifications myself and risk breaking our phone line completely and if i had noticed these bodged extensions earlier i would have got the Infinity engineer to sort it when he came to install in the first place.

Any help greatfully received!

Matthew

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 13

Re: Recently moved in and inherited bodged wiring.

You may find that a friendly BT (or ex BT) engineer might be prepared to do it for you.

Anybody who fits this description could private message MattF38!

Welcome to the forum, btw!

Rich

If you found this information helpful, please click the star to the left of this post. If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 13

What's the harm in trying it yourself. If you fix it you've won a watch, if you cause a fault you will have to pay for the BT engineer to fix it which is what you would have to do if you don't want to try and fix it yourself.

Either that or just leave it alone and accept the 50Mbps is not that bad and is probably is more than enough for your needs.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 13

I may finish the job myself but just thought BT would rather send someone when they happen to be in the area than have an unqualified DIYer have a bash at it.

50Mb is pretty good but we have come from VM into a non cabled area and the drop from 120Mb is a bit of a shock with the kids online at the same time.

VM would have come and done little jobs like this for free and did so on a couple of ocassions.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 13

Difference is VM engineers are employed by VM whereas BT need to use a different company namely openreach

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 13

Phone extensions are your responsibility.  If you want openreach to remove one, then they will charge you to do it.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 13

@Ectophile wrote:

Phone extensions are your responsibility.  If you want openreach to remove one, then they will charge you to do it.

Im aware of that and if it was after the master socket then i would just crack on, im cautious because this was wired into the old termination point before the wiring reaches the master socket.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 13

in which case that is an Openreach job
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 13

@MattF38 wrote:

@Ectophile wrote:

Im aware of that and if it was after the master socket then i would just crack on, im cautious because this was wired into the old termination point before the wiring reaches the master socket.

If I were you, I'd just quietly remove it and say nothing to Openreach.  Otherwise, they might decide to charge you £99 to fix someone else's bodge.

And it sounds like you've solved the original problem already anyway.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 10 of 13

Of course the installer should have noticed and fixed it; but they usually don't.  If I were you I'd just leave it.

You may find the 50 goes up a bit more as DLM settles.  Disconnect/reconnect the router (NOT the modem) each morning to make sure your IP profile gets updated to match any increase in sync speed DLM has allowed you overnight.

0 Ratings