Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 29

Recontracted but can’t get new hub?

Go to solution

Hello,

Just recontracted BT infinity 2 etc for another 24 months. Retentions insisted I can’t get a free smart hub upgrade despite the new contract (over which time I’ll pay a minimum of £1200). I’m still within my cooling off period and seriously considering my options. Others seem to have got a free one on agreeing new contracts. Anyone I can speak to to make this happen?

We have signal issues on a smart tv and the 3x3 vs current 2x2 antenna would be appreciated.

thanks!

0 Ratings
28 REPLIES 28
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 29

Re: Recontracted but can’t get new hub?

Go to solution

Welcome to this user forum.

Its unlikely you would see any improvement with the smart hub, as all of the home hubs suffer from poor wireless coverage due to their internal wireless aerials. This problem does not occur with third party routers with external aerials.

A smart TV is best connected using an Ethernet cable, or broadband extenders, wireless is not reliable enough.

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 29

Go to solution

BT don't hand out Smarthubs as a matter of course when you upgrade. You should have haggled it into the deal. It will be very unlikely that they will now give you one because you have now already recontracted. 

In any event you would be far better buying a third party VDSL Modem/Router. They start in price at about £30 and will more than likely perform better than the Smarthub. If you consider that you would have had to pay £7 delivery charge for the Smarthub you could in effect get  a better VDSL Modem/router for £27.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 29

Go to solution

@Inffffffinity

See

Cheap reliable replacement for home hub.

This has external wireless aerials, and gives very good wireless coverage.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 29

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

Welcome to this user forum.

Its unlikely you would see any improvement with the smart hub, as all of the home hubs suffer from poor wireless coverage due to their internal wireless aerials. This problem does not occur with third party routers with external aerials.

A smart TV is best connected using an Ethernet cable, or broadband extenders, wireless is not reliable enough.

@Keith_Beddoe

as I posted before I am using a Hh6 and testing it against a tplink VR2600 with 4 external aerials and at present contrary to your comment the Hub wireless is as good as the TPLINK with it's 4 external aerials

maybe I am lucky but I doubt it  did you ever try the HH6 when testing?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 29

Go to solution

@imjollyIts simply a fact about transmission efficiency.

At 2.4GHz the full wavelength is 12.5cm which is too big to accommodate inside the case of a home hub, so a compromise has to be made by using a fraction of this, surrounded by all the other internal circuitry.

The external aerials on my router are the full 12.5cm long, and the polarisation can be changed to give the optimum coverage.

My daughter has a HH6 in a 1930s house, and the coverage is quite poor, and requires the addition of two extra hotspots.

I only have an old HH4 to compare coverage in my house, and the HH4 performs very badly compared to  my TP Link one, in exactly the same position.

I suspect that there is a very wide variation in the HH6 production quality, so you may have been lucky in getting one with good wireless performance. I see some people get no wireless output at all, so quality control is another issue.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 29

Go to solution

I appreciate your comment about transmission efficiency but the hub and the TPlink VR2600 are sitting about 2' apart so I can get a realistic test of which is giving better wifi coverage  The TPlink has 4 external aerials at least 12.5cm in length.

The results from various locations in my home (built about 1900) show little difference in wireless coverage using a wifi analyser  The tplink is slightly better on 2.4ghz and the HH6 is slightly better on 5ghz  I have not tried to see which router has the widest coverage as I am not concerned with getting wifi 20/30m into my garden

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 29

Go to solution
have to agree IMJ I have like wise found the hub6 wireless better than previous hubs as well likewise I have not had any of the problems posted from day one of the trial
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 29

Go to solution

@john46

maybe we got a specially made set of HH6 for the testingSmiley Very HappySmiley Very Happy

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 29

Go to solution

Joking apart, I suspect any pre-production test models were probably of better manufacturing quality than production ones.