Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DaveBaines
Aspiring Expert
Message 11 of 66

Re: Recording Internet channels - When?

@brutallove wrote:

What you have to remember is that BT are less interested in getting Sport viewers than in getting Broadband subscribers. To view for "Free" through Sky, people will need to switch BROADBAND from Sky to BT.

Yes I get that. But it seems that the easiest and cheapest way to get this is by having sky.

In fact, if someone wants BT Sport through a set top box and doesn't have sky, they would be better off buying a used sky box. BT are helping to put sky equipment in people's homes.

0 Ratings
mike200
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 66

I've no interest in paying the Dirty Digger......

I was already a BT broadband customer & as BT will have Moto GP next year this it's looking good.

If only I could redcord the flippin' programmes.....

Anyone from BT care to comment?

0 Ratings
hughesged
Contributor
Message 13 of 66

I've been informed by a BT 'advisor that recording and pause/play for internet channels requires a firmware upgrade and indicated a date of October, no specific date. Not seen this confirmed anywhere and doesn't mention this lack of basic functionality in the 'blurb'!
0 Ratings
zulu17
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 14 of 66

Well it is mentioned at

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=35039

Youview have been quotied in May that their intention is to provoide an update in the autumn.

Furthur down the line, YouView will be bringing additional support for internet channels, with new features in autumn 2013, that will allow you to pause, skip, record and so on.

0 Ratings
hughesged
Contributor
Message 15 of 66

"Note: YouView customers with BT Infinity will not be able to pause, rewind or record the BT Sport or Extra TV Channels. This functionality will be available within a few weeks of the launch of BT Sport."

Have looked at the link above. It does specify a 'few' weeks from the launch of BT Sport ... that was August 1st ... it is now 25 days later .... more than a 'few' weeks and still no record functionality!
0 Ratings
MartinH
Expert
Message 16 of 66

@hughesged wrote:
"Note: YouView customers with BT Infinity will not be able to pause, rewind or record the BT Sport or Extra TV Channels. This functionality will be available within a few weeks of the launch of BT Sport."

Have looked at the link above. It does specify a 'few' weeks from the launch of BT Sport ... that was August 1st ... it is now 25 days later .... more than a 'few' weeks and still no record functionality!

"Few" is generally understood to mean more than a couple, so at least three.

There are 7 days per week, 7 times 3 is 21.

Even if we took "few" to mean the last amount of weeks possibe, not sure 25 days really classes at the breaking of a sacred comitment? 

0 Ratings
Colin_London
Recognised Expert
Message 17 of 66

If you can't wait for Youview to release the software update with the recording functionality for IPTV then you can instead access previously broadcast programming om-demand from the new BT Sport section within BT Vision (if you are signed up to BT Sport).

0 Ratings
davep123
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 66

I would normally understand "within a few weeks" to mean probably WITHIN 21 days, but with a possibility to be up to one or two weeks more than that.

If BT don't have this functionality ready before the start of the rugby season I will be pretty fed up.

Why can't a more accurate ETA be published?

0 Ratings
MartinH
Expert
Message 19 of 66

@davep123 wrote:

I would normally understand "within a few weeks" to mean probably WITHIN 21 days, but with a possibility to be up to one or two weeks more than that.

If BT don't have this functionality ready before the start of the rugby season I will be pretty fed up.

Why can't a more accurate ETA be published?

Because no-one sensible would commit themsleves publicly to a delivery date for a software update that's still being coded and tested. 

0 Ratings
hughesged
Contributor
Message 20 of 66

I think you'll find 'few' doesn't equate to 'three' or any specific number at all it is a 'relative' term which is open to interpretation, hence it is used when no firm date or approximate date is known but is perceived to be a 'small' number. Cynically you could say it is deliberately used to give the impression that it is 'soon' but without any commitment like 'the cheque's in the post'. This is a firmware/software update and to give a date shouldn't be that difficult. There are thousands of companies/organisations that do it all the time! The ability to record on a PVR is sort of 'expected' as it defines what the product is in the first place, so not to be able to record all of the channels is somewhat more than amiss as it is basic functionality that shouldn't require a significant rewrite/patch of the firmware. In any case it should not be difficult to give a specific date as to when this should be available, even if this date may be delayed. It would be more useful to have something more specific, being woolly doesn't endear anyone.

0 Ratings