Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MartinH
Expert
Message 21 of 66

Re: Recording Internet channels - When?

@hughesged wrote:

I think you'll find 'few' doesn't equate to 'three' or any specific number at all it is a 'relative' term which is open to interpretation, hence it is used when no firm date or approximate date is known but is perceived to be a 'small' number. Cynically you could say it is deliberately used to give the impression that it is 'soon' but without any commitment like 'the cheque's in the post'. This is a firmware/software update and to give a date shouldn't be that difficult. There are thousands of companies/organisations that do it all the time! The ability to record on a PVR is sort of 'expected' as it defines what the product is in the first place, so not to be able to record all of the channels is somewhat more than amiss as it is basic functionality that shouldn't require a significant rewrite/patch of the firmware. In any case it should not be difficult to give a specific date as to when this should be available, even if this date may be delayed. It would be more useful to have something more specific, being woolly doesn't endear anyone.

YouView doesn't pre-announce release dates. That policy won't change just because a couple of posters here demand otherwise. 

As for the complexity, the standard recording of DTT channels is controlled by the DTT tuner software and delivered by the box makers as part of the the layer they, and not YouView, are responsible for. On the other hand, the recording of IPTV channels is something the YouView devs will need to deliver.

So it's bit more involved than just expanding an existing function. 

davep123
Aspiring Contributor
Message 22 of 66

Uh excuse me?

Expected release dates for forthcoming software are announced all the time once it gets to beta stage.
0 Ratings
davep123
Aspiring Contributor
Message 23 of 66

To expand, BT knew the launch date of their IPTV channels a long time in advance.

If they could not support standard PVR operations on those channels for a goodly length of time they should have been honest and upfront about it.

A "few" is indeed a vague term but is "normally" understood to be around 3 and yesterday was the end of the 4th week. If the timescale were meant to be understood as longer than that the natural unit would be "months".

At the least a courtesy email to apologise would be in order if this functionality does not appear *soon*.

In any case I don't agree that once the software is in place to receive and display those channels, that there should be any particular difficulty in expanding that to recording them.

0 Ratings
MartinH
Expert
Message 24 of 66

Hate to put it this way but it ultimately doesn't matter what you demand or expect - BT's not in charge of the software, YouView has a policy of not pre-announcing release dates, no-one's given a firm date so they've nothing to apologise for and nothing said on these forums is going to make the software appear any quicker. 

0 Ratings
zulu17
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 25 of 66

BT have been saying since May that 

If we provide you with access to BT Sport on YouView you will not be able to record, rewind or pause the BT Sport Channels until this functionality is made available on YouView.

YouView customers will be able to use trick play, watch and record features from Autumn 2013.

0 Ratings
davep123
Aspiring Contributor
Message 26 of 66

Martin

Suffice to say I don't think your attitude has any basis in reality. You cannot have it both ways.

BT said that this functionality would be available within "a few weeks" from August 1st. If they are relying on YouView to provide that functionality then that is their problem, not mine. 

If BT have no more control or idea of when YouView will make this functionality available than I do, then clearly they have missold their product by making the "few weeks" claim.

Evidently BT do know something about when this functionality will become available, and seeing as it could already be considered late, a bit more transparency wouldn't go amiss. 

0 Ratings
MartinH
Expert
Message 27 of 66

@davep123 wrote:

Martin

Suffice to say I don't think your attitude has any basis in reality. You cannot have it both ways.

BT said that this functionality would be available within "a few weeks" from August 1st. If they are relying on YouView to provide that functionality then that is their problem, not mine. 

If BT have no more control or idea of when YouView will make this functionality available than I do, then clearly they have missold their product by making the "few weeks" claim.

Evidently BT do know something about when this functionality will become available, and seeing as it could already be considered late, a bit more transparency wouldn't go amiss. 

You can be as petulant as you like dear, the software won't turn up until YouView is good and ready to release it and even then it'll be a phased roll-out which on past behaviour will take up to 2 weeks for everyone to receive. 

0 Ratings
StewM
Guru
Message 28 of 66

I think it is fair to say, BT do keep things under wraps more than they should and normally cover releases, updates etc with a blanket "coming soon".
From the customers prospective this can be frustrating as there seems to be quite a few things at the moment we are waiting to happen.
In reality we either wait until BT is ready, get worked up or go somewhere else.
I know which I am doing.
0 Ratings
hiraldos
Beginner
Message 29 of 66

I don't really care who has said what or who has promised what - BT has chosen a technology partner and a device which clearly wasn't ready in time and are now a laughing stock compared to Sky and Virgin whose customers can record BT sport - poor show

0 Ratings
MartinH
Expert
Message 30 of 66

@hiraldos wrote:

I don't really care who has said what or who has promised what - BT has chosen a technology partner and a device which clearly wasn't ready in time and are now a laughing stock compared to Sky and Virgin whose customers can record BT sport - poor show

Laughing stock?

Are there really legions of Sky and Virgin Media customers taunting and pointing at you in the street because they know you can't record some sport? Sounds like they need to get a life to me. Could you maybe change your route to work while you wait for them to grow up or at least until the recording feature arrives? 

Or are you suggesting Sky and Virgin Media customers are gathering to laugh at BT, perhaps outside their HQ or shareholder meeting? Seems unlikely and equally tragic if true.