Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 1 of 7

Recording programmes: New possible tip?

Go to solution

Following the debacle of day 1 of The Ashes extended highlights being delayed and not being recorded properly it occurs to me that this was because that even though the EPG may have been changed before the original start of the programme that the Youview box coming out of standby to record will not have had time to see the change from the carousel stream.  So, I am thinking that the solution is to use a Watch / Record timer to wake up the box well ahead of time to allow it to see late EPG changes.  Will this work?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
zulu17
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 7

Re: Recording programmes: New possible tip?

Go to solution

If you have already scheduled the recordings then the Youview box should wake up prior to the start time which should be sufficient to detect any changes in the EPG  that have occurred during the box standby time. So I doubt that your Watch/timer suggestion would have any impact other than waking up the Youview Box earlier.

As for the day 1 Ashes  .. wasn’t there a significant rain delay in the afternoon and the evening session  extended but then eventually curtailed due to bad light. Hence the live broadcast ended significantly later than originally scheduled. So a rescheduling of the start of the highlights package on the same channel seems reasonable .

I believe from the thread on the YouView Community their community manager has passed details on to the Youview content team.

0 Ratings
gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution
The Ashes day 1 highlights debacle demonstrated that the guard time allowed before the scheduled start was *not* long enough to pick up the EPG change.
0 Ratings
gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution
Couple of additional points:-

1) Does the EPG for the BT Sport channels come over DTT or streamed?

2) Does the Youview box detect EPG changes while in recording standby mode anyway or does it need to be fully on which is more normal in my experience of other boxes?

AFAIK when the Youview box wakes into recording standby mode ten minutes beforehand it is only to listen out for the start of the programme it is waiting to record and does not pick up EPG changes. My suggested tip to set a Watch timer would allow it to action the EPG changes. Perhaps someone in the know can say if I am right or wrong on this.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

@gomezz wrote:
Couple of additional points:-

1) Does the EPG for the BT Sport channels come over DTT or streamed?

2) Does the Youview box detect EPG changes while in recording standby mode anyway or does it need to be fully on which is more normal in my experience of other boxes?

AFAIK when the Youview box wakes into recording standby mode ten minutes beforehand it is only to listen out for the start of the programme it is waiting to record and does not pick up EPG changes. My suggested tip to set a Watch timer would allow it to action the EPG changes. Perhaps someone in the know can say if I am right or wrong on this.

See https://community.bt.com/t5/Connected-Devices-Other/Constant-IGMP-traffic/m-p/1795451#M146320

0 Ratings
gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks for that. Useful to know. Presumably the Youview box will be able to start tracking this additional information when it wakes up into recording standby mode.  But until they confirm they are actually using this new information to start and stop recordings then I will pursue the Watch timer workaround.  Roll on the next Ashes matches so I can give it a go.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

No idea, as I do not use any subscription channels, I was just aware of the update, as it related to network activity.

0 Ratings