Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 17

Re: Recurring problem with terrible crackle on line

Go to solution

Its only successful because it is a monopoly, it doesn't give a **** about its customers.

0 Ratings
nigelg
Contributor
Message 12 of 17

Go to solution
Hi again, I just wanted to post an update regarding the engineer visit that we had on Monday 22nd.

The engineer arrived right at the beginning of the booked time slot. He tested the line but at the time the crackle wasn't really playing ball! But he looked in the man hole outside our house and found a lot of water in it, and the connector housing totally submersed. He explained that they are supposed to be water tight, but a quick look revealed water inside it.

After replacing the junction unit he came in to check the line again. Fortunately, the crackle was playing ball so he realised that the water was not the only problem. After seeking permission to continue for a much longer time he went off to do a line swap between the exchange and the cabinet. After this the crackle was gone, so fingers crossed that has sorted it for good. This engineer seemed to be extremely thorough, and was allowed the time to hopefully fix the problem properly, which others hadn't been able to do as they were not lucky enough to witness the fault in action themselves. I cannot thank him enough, and really do hope that our fault is now sorted out. I will try to remember to update this thread again if the fault comes back yet again in the future.

It would be wonderful if OpenReach could better diagnose intermittent line problems, but as a retired software engineer myself I am fully aware how difficult intermittent problems are.

Fingers crossed that this problem now stays away!
0 Ratings
JohnC2
Message 13 of 17

Go to solution

Hi @nigelg Thanks for the update and as you say hopefully this is the fault resolved but if it comes back let us know.

Cheers

John

0 Ratings
indoneringback
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 17

Go to solution

The problem is that a so called pair quality check is probbly done with n electronic, softwre controlled test meter.  This will sample then compare, then display the results at that time of sample, they are little help in identifying a 'tapping' fault.

What are BTOpenreach line limits for their poor service to rural customers?  A 1600Hz signal into a 1000ohm loop resistance can drop about 10 dB.  Does anyone know what are their limits for line to test as good? 

0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 15 of 17

Go to solution

Lookup up 'SIN 349' , it contains the technical specification of a  (BT/OR) local loop (metallic path facility)

0 Ratings
TelephoneBob
Expert
Message 16 of 17

Go to solution
A PQT does not work on the SIN349 Paramters.

If it did 99.99% of every PQT done would pass first time!

0 Ratings
TelephoneBob
Expert
Message 17 of 17

Go to solution
'Its only successful because it is a monopoly, it doesn't give a **** about its customers.'

Only winding you up, I've met you before remember. Or did you forget...... 😆
0 Ratings