cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Robsta42
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 16

Reduced Connection Speed & HomeHub 3 Issues

About 3-4 weeks ago the broadband light on our HomeHub 3 went out for an unknown reason. A simple reset did not fix the problem so I called BT technical support who informed me that there were no issues in the area and advised to plug our HomeHub 3 into the master socket. I did this and eventually after about half an hour the broadband light came back on. I then plugged the HomeHub 3 back into its original socket and it proceeded to work fine. Our line speed however was reduced from 7.5 Mbps to 5.6 Mbps. Searching for solutions directed me to threads in this forum where others had been advised to wait a few days for the line speed to return to normal. I followed this advice and unfortunately this has not happened and so I have now registered here to ask for our line speed to be manually returned to normal.

I understand that in order to do so I must post our ADSL line status from the HomeHub 3 with a minimum of 3 days connection time. I am unable to do this as our HomeHub 3 has developed a fault, whereby after an hour or so, the manager can no longer be accessed at either http://192.168.1.254 or http://bthomehub.home/. A temporary fix is to reboot the HomeHub 3 which resests the connection time. The following is our ADSL line status after rebooting:

ADSL Line Status

Connection information

Line state:

Connected

Connection time:

0 day, 00:09:07

Downstream:

5,632 Kbps

Upstream:

256 Kbps

ADSL settings

VPI/VCI:

0/38

Type:

PPPoA

Modulation:

G.992.1 Annex A

Latency type:

Interleaved

Noise margin (Down/Up):

6.0 dB / 7.0 dB

Line attenuation (Down/Up):

28.5 dB / 31.5 dB

Output power (Down/Up):

19.8 dBm / 12.3 dBm

FEC Events (Down/Up):

23265 / 0

CRC Events (Down/Up):

0 / 0

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):

0 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):

0 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote):

0 / 0

Loss of Link (Remote):

HEC Errors (Down/Up):

0 / 0

Error Seconds (Local/Remote):

0 / 0

After monitoring the connection for half an hour before being unable to access the homehub again, the Noise Margin had changed to 7.1 dB/7.0 dB and the Output power to 19.9 dBm/12.3 dBm.

Slightly off topic, ADSL 2+ has within the last month become available in our area, will we have to ask BT for the faster speeds or will we be automatically upgraded? Also, our ADSL line status shows that we have an Interleaved latency type, is it possible with our line attentuation and noise margin to be put onto Fast Path?

Thanks for taking the time to read the post.

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: Reduced Connection Speed & HomeHub 3 Issues

please reconnect to the test socket then repost your ADSL stats so the connection can be seen from there
when it comes to ADSL2+ you will be upgraded automatically it may take from a few week to a few months as lines are moved over in batches as to fast path unless you are an online gamer the stability gained by interleaving is an advantage if you wish to have fastpath enabled the forum mods can arrange that
Robsta42
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 16

Hi John, thanks for the fast reply. Here is the ADSL line status when plugged into the master socket:

ADSL Line Status

Connection information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 day, 00:05:14
Downstream:8,128 Kbps
Upstream:448 Kbps

ADSL settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):14.4 dB / 23.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):6.0 dB / 3.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up):11.8 dBm / 12.0 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote):0
HEC Errors (Down/Up):0 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):

0 / 0

Thanks for the information regarding ADSL2+. As for the latency type, I do a lot of gaming so Fast Path would be better. How can I go about having the change arranged?

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 16

you have had a substantial increase in connection speed when connected to the test socket showing you have an internal wiring error most likely the bell wire needs removing this link explains how to do it http://www.filesaveas.com/jarviser/bellwirenutshell.html once you have removed the internal wiring issue and can show 3days + stable connection the forum mods can be involved to get you moved to fast path
Robsta42
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 16

Hi John, thanks again for the fast reply. I am going to move the Home Hub 3 to a new location so it can permanently be plugged into the master socket. What can I do about the faults with the Home Hub 3 and not being able to access the Home Hub manager after a short period of time? This will prevent me from being able to paste the ADSL line status in 3 days time show a stable connection.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 16

just post back new stats and things can be taken from there
Robsta42
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 16

Ok John thank you for your help. I am ordering a couple of new cables so I can keep the Home Hub permanently plugged into the master socket. Once they arrive and it's all in place, I'll wait 3 days and post back here with some new stats.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 16

Ok there is always someone around to help
Robsta42
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 16

Hello again, the Home Hub 3 has now been in its new location plugged into the master socket for 3 days. The Home Hub manager is now working fine and so I am now able to access it any time. Here is the current ADSL line status:

ADSL Line Status

Connection information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:3 days, 00:09:34
Downstream:8,128 Kbps
Upstream:448 Kbps

ADSL settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):14.5 dB / 24.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):6.0 dB / 4.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up):11.8 dBm / 12.0 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):1756 / 20
CRC Events (Down/Up):35 / 1
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote):0
HEC Errors (Down/Up):487 / 1
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):0 / 0

Our IP profile has been raised to it normal level also:

Results Image not loaded

1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.

Download  Speed
 6.94 Mbps

0 Mbps7.15 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 6.94 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.6 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :8.13 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 7.15 Mbps

If you wish to discuss these results please contact your Broadband Service Provider.

If you are experiencing problems with specific applications, servers or websites please contact your Broadband Service Provider for assistance.

Your test has completed please close this window to exit the performance tester.

Please visit the FAQ if you are unable to understand the test results.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 16

all looks ok now please post back if you need further help