Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
smithg38
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Reduced connection speed with Netgear D7800 VDSL modem/router

Hi all

I have recently taken out BT Infinity fibre and using the BT supplied HH5, my connection speed is 25Mbps down and 6Mbps up, although I was promised a guaranteed minimum down of 29Mbps.

When using my Netgear D7800 X4S modem/router the best link speeds I can get is 17Mbps down and 5Mbps up.

I have since reverted back to the HH5 and the down / up speeds have gone back to where they were originally i.e. 25Mbps and 6Mbps.

Has anyone else experienced similar issues and where you able to resolve the problem?

Thanks in advance

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Reduced connection speed with Netgear D7800 VDSL modem/router

an you post some stats from whichever router you are using

can you enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number  https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

What firmware are you on?

0 Ratings
smithg38
Beginner
Message 4 of 8

Hi imjolly

My router stats (Netgear) are;

DSL Link                   Downstream                   Up Stream

Connection Speed       18.28 Mbps                     5.51 Mbps

Line Attenuation          29.10 dB                      35.10 dB

Noise Margin                6.20 dB                        5.90 dB

I have clicked through the link you provided and here are the result;

BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER
Telephone Number on Exchange HAYWARDS HEATH is served by Cabinet 58

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

HighLowHighLow    
FTTC Range A (Clean)4030.57.35.4--Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted)31.917.46.82.9--Available
WBC ADSL 2+Up to 1--1 to 5Available
ADSL MaxUp to 0.5--0.75 to 4Available
WBC Fixed Rate0.5----Available
Fixed Rate0.5----Available
Other Offerings
FTTP on Demand33030--Available
Fibre Multicast------Available
Copper Multicast------Available

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC or WBC SOGEA) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

There are no left in jumpers available on this line. This line is on a Market B Exchange.

For FTTC Ranges A and B, the term "Clean" relates to a line which is free from any wiring issues (e.g. Bridge Taps) and/or Copper line conditions, and the term "Impacted" relates to a line which may have wiring issues (e.g. Bridge Taps) and/or Copper line conditions.

Throughput/download speeds will be less than line rates and can be affected by a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

The Stop Sale date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2012; the Formal Retirement date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2014. The Stop Sale date for IPstream is from 31-Dec-2012; the Formal Retirement date for IPstream is from 30-Jun-2014.

If the End User wishes to migrate from their current Broadband supplier they will need to contact the Broadband supplier they want to take service from to arrange for the service to be migrated.

Does this explain anything?

Many thanks

0 Ratings
smithg38
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

Netgear firmware is 1.0.0.48, I think it must be up to date as the router updated itself to this version very recetly.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Try a factory reset of the router, its normally recommended anyway after a firmware update especially when there's DSL changes which there were in the 1.0.0.48 update.

Theres also been some debate about the D7800's chipset some people think it has a Lantiq chipset which would work great with ECI cabinets but it seems that it could contain a new chipset (Qualcom) than hasnt been used before on DSL so it could have some issues. 

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=2446342&p=5

0 Ratings
smithg38
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

Ok so I still can't explain why my Netgear 7800 has a reduced connection speed to that of the HH5.

However, after a lot reading up on how to improve ones internet connection speed, I am delighted to say that my Netgear download speed has jumped from 17 Mbps to a much improved 47.22 Mbps with an up connection of 9.90 Mbps.

It would appear that my problem was as a result of connecting my router to a media plate in my living room. I live in a new property which has cat 6a installed throughout with media plates in the living room, bedroom, home office and kitchen. The media plates also have extention phone sockets. The only design flaw is that my main BT socket is sited in the hallway - with no cat 6a termination points. Bit of a shame but I can make use of powerline technology to terminated back to the router and of course wi-fi.

Anyway, having relocated my router to the main socket in the hallway and ditching all telephone extension points from the main socket and installing a Solwise ADSL Faceplate Splitter to my NTE5 master, my connection speed jumped almost instantaneously, then settling to the down / up speeds above.

I haven't tried reconnecting my HH5 as I am happy with the result but I do wonder if the speed would increase further.

My router stats are now;

DSL Link                       Downstream                 Upstream

Connection Speed            47.22 Mbps                      9.90 Mpbs

Line Attenuation               25.70 dB                        27.70 dB

Noise Margin                     6.10 dB                         6.10 dB

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

check your routesr stats and see what max attainable speed is shown

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings