cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alexo
Contributor
Message 1 of 17

Reduced speed still after >3 days following fault and engineer fix

On 10th July my phone line developed a fault leading to significant noise/interference. Consequently my broadband connection, which is normally around 10mbps (download) started dropping out and would only resync at around 3mb (download) and was unstable. An engineer visited on 16th Jul and changed the pair of wires I was connected to. Since then the noise has gone from the line however my sync speed has failed to recover and remains at around 3mbps. Interestingly the upload speed is 1.2 mbps and this happened as soon as the line was re-connected.

I have waited patiently for 3 days (which seems to be the guidance on here for my profile to recover) even though my exchange is 21CN enabled. My connection has failed to recover to anywhere near the previous sync speed. I tried restarting my router tonight having had a stable connection for 3 days but I'm still syncing at 3mbps.

From what I can gather when you resync on a 21CN enabled exchanged your speed should recover in a matter of hours not days - I could be wrong? Indeed this was the case when I had a fault fixed about 5 years ago. On that occasion before the engineer even left my house I was back at a speed several mbps higher than before the fault occurred.

Can anyone suggest what I should do next? 

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
DavidM
Message 2 of 17

Re: Reduced speed still after >3 days following fault and engineer fix

Hi @alexo and thanks for posting.

Can you try running the speedtest including the further diagnostics and post the results? That will let us see if there are any obvious problems with the connection. Once you've done that I'm sure we'll be able to help you.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
alexo
Contributor
Message 3 of 17

Hi David.

Thanks for your reply.

Here is the output from the speedtest.

Thanks

Alex

200616_1.PNG

200616_2.PNG

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 17

just because you are on 21Cn does not mean your conenction will recover speed in hours not days.  in fact if you get into a banded profile which didn't happen on adslmax then it can take 3/5 days for banding to release and speed start to recover.  restarting hub is usually not a good idea and just prolongs recovery time

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
alexo
Contributor
Message 5 of 17

Thanks for your reply. 

So in answer to my original question, am I to assume your advice is to leave the router connected for 5 days?

What I find a little annoying is this quoted figure of "3-5 days". If you need 5 days continuous then why don't people say 5 days to avoid any ambiguity?

Even the engineer, when he left said to me that if my speed didn't recover within 24 hours I should contact support. I've not done this because of the information I have found on here and thought it best to give it a try for 3 days at least. 

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 17

it can recover in 3/5 days and just saying 5 days gets many people really annoyed whereas in fact it can recover in 3 days - but must be a stable connection for that period and any drops/resets and timescale starts again

the forum mods normally help if you can post stats with 3+ days conenction time and they will get you out of banding and/or noise margin reset  the 3+ days is to show conenction stable otherwise manual reset is pointless as you will just be back to status quo with unstable conenction

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
alexo
Contributor
Message 7 of 17

Thanks. As "proof" here's my router status prior to me resetting last night.

Fingers crossed this is as simple as me being placed in a banded profile. Is it naive to think that someone could check to confirm whether or not you are actually in a banded profile thus eliminating the guesswork in this process?

1.PNG

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 17

you need to post the stats from your hub which will show necessary information  

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the adsl stats from your router you may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or if HH4/5 then go to troubleshooting then logs and you are looking for 2 line together when hub last connected to internet and they will show your connection speed and noise margin or if netgear enter 192.168.0.1). 

are you connected directly via a filter to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Is the master the only phone socket in your home?

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

test socket.jpg

0 Ratings
alexo
Contributor
Message 9 of 17

Detailed stats below.

I am connected into a filtered faceplate installed by the engineer (he replaced my old filtered faceplate - not sure why with hindsight as it wasn't part of the problem).

Quiet line is still all quiet. This was also verified by the engineer before he left last Thursday - he listened to it for about 5 mins.

2.PNG

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 17

stats show you are in a banded profile and I expect as that is previous stats before your manual reset that your connection speed down is still the same

http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/broadband_terminology.shtml

0 Ratings