cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PaddyCampbell
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Reducing Line Rental?

I was wondering if I could get some information on from you knowledgable folk.

I currently pay £15.99 line rental and have BT Infinity 2. I don't use the house phone at all, the line is purely so I can access the internet.

I have read about a package called BT Basic which seems to be for light users and people on benefits who do not use their phone so they can benefit from cheaper line rental. I am not on benefits, so I doub't I'd qualify, but surely there must be something out there for people who don't use their phones and only have landlines so they can have internet access? My bill is quite high and a good 50%+ of it is the line rental cost and fees for the pleasure of BT having to bill me!

Any ideas on what can be done or am I stuck having to pay full whack for the landline? Cheers.

[insert witty signature here]
0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Reducing Line Rental?

john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 5

there are no options available to remove the line rental charge as that charge is made to all providers by Openreach as it covers the supply and maintenance of the line and exchange equipment

there is an option call line saver rental which reduces the charge slightly but requires a years advanced payment
ernie_c
Expert
Message 4 of 5

Pricing of LRS is currently around 12 months for the price of 10, £159.84 as a non-returnable advance payment:

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/landline/line-rental-and-calling-plans
0 Ratings
jbennan
Beginner
Message 5 of 5

You can't get rid of the line rental but you can use an overriding line rental provider as I am currently using. I paid them £129 upfront for 12 months with free evening/weekend calls (but you need to check the T&Cs of your contract whether it allows you to move to another LR provider). You will continue to pay BT for the BB service.

0 Ratings