Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jonkarra
Expert
Message 1 of 6

Reduction in download speed over the past few weeks

Hi all,

I have been getting around about 58-61MB download on infinity 2 for about 6 months. Suddenly the speed seems to be dropping. I checked earlier in the week and was seeing 49MB download and I've checked today and thats dropped even further to 44MB.

Nothing obvious out of place. I did try rebooting the modem and router to see if it helped a few days ago and it came straight back at 49MB

Stats from the modem :-

DSL LinkDownstreamUpstream
Connection Speed44.00 Mbps13.13 Mbps
Line Attenuation19.90 dB26.90 dB
Noise Margin9.20 dB

6.60 dB

Anyone notice anything out of place with the line attenuation/noise margin?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Reduction in download speed over the past few weeks

your noise margin is higher than the norm of 6db suggesting your conenction is dropping probably due to line noise  try quiet line test  dial 17070 option and see if any noise

what is current conenction time - probably short

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Jonkarra
Expert
Message 3 of 6

Current connection time is over 3 days, and no diserenable noise on the line. This is what has confused me as I checked the line and didnt think it was particularly noisy and the link has been up 3 days so why would the speed drop?

0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
Message 4 of 6

What do you call discernable noise? There is either noise or there isn't, no halfway house.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

3 days is not long in connection terms - do you monitor your connection and if so has it been dropping often prior to the 3 days?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Jonkarra
Expert
Message 6 of 6

There was no sign of any noise on the line when I did the quiet line test. As for connection times its generally pretty good I normally keep an eye on it, the only reason it went down 3 days ago was because I wasnt happy with the connection but it had been up for 10+ days. 

I'll leave it alone for now and see if the noise margin drops.

0 Ratings