Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 28

Re: Remote control of central heating system

Go to solution

That issue is more likely to be due to the home hub "forgetting" the Salus gateway unit, and nothing else.

The reference to manually forwarding ports is on page 27, its in the "useful information" section.

I doubt it will make any difference on a home hub, as the loss of communication with devices that it suffers from, has been mentioned before.

It usually people who have CCTV cameras that they remote monitor. They lose contact with them, which can be a problem if you are monitoring a remote property Smiley Sad

The consensus is. that its a software issue with the home hubs ARP table. It simply loses track of the relationship between the device MAC address, and the IP address that has been allocated by the home hub.

That is why allocating an IP address outside of the DHCP range, cures the problem. That does not seem possible with the Solus, as it says that you must use DHCP.

Breaking the link between the device and the home hub, forces it to refresh the internal table.

I think you are always going to have this issue with the home hub.

On the TP Link one, you can manually add an entry to the ARP table, so it can never change.

TP Link TD-9970 ARP binding

El-Gringo
Contributor
Message 12 of 28

Go to solution

Unfortunately I didn’t manage to find any mention of this problem in my previous internet searches.

So, if Salus say you must use DHCP are you saying I will never be able to cure this problem using my BT Home Hub 5 (what about the 6?), will always loose & not be able to re-instate remote contact (remotely) with my heating system if the hub resets due to a drop out or power failure while I'm away?

If so, I will definitely need a new hub then?

If so, isn’t this a design fault on the part of Salus or BT, or possibly both? I shouldn’t have to buy a new hub to get the Salus device to work, surely that makes it not fit for purpose! I know the Salus is a budget device but I've been happy with Salus control stuff for the past 4 years & the remote device seemed to offer all I wanted – except being able to maintain remote access it seems! Beginning to wish I’d spent more & bought a “Hive” system which seemed expensive overkill for what I needed; do you know if Hive have the same problem?

Under advanced settings & What I've managed to stumble through so far; my Hub 5 configuration lists the network name as Salus-fc-ed-b9-33-2d-e0; MAC address as fc:ed:b9:33:2d:e0 (the same?), shows I’ve assigned a static IP address & is configured to always use this IP address, is this not sufficient?

I got no meaningful response from the Heating Engineering forum I tried which I thought would be the obvious place to start as I can't imagine they have not seen this problem before so I'm very grateful for your help; I’m disparately trying to understand & keep up so please be patient.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 28

Go to solution

@El-Gringo wrote:

Under advanced settings & What I've managed to stumble through so far; my Hub 5 configuration lists the network name as Salus-fc-ed-b9-33-2d-e0; MAC address as fc:ed:b9:33:2d:e0 (the same?), shows I’ve assigned a static IP address & is configured to always use this IP address, is this not sufficient?

No, as that still uses DHCP to assign the address, it just uses the same one each time. Static is an unfortunate misnomer that BT have decided to call reserved addressing. True static adresses can only be set on the device.

Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 28

Go to solution

" always use this IP address," is not the same as assigning a static IP address, and the home hubs tend to forget this anyway Smiley Sad

I could probably find forum posts about this, but I am sure that other regular forum members would recognise the issue.

I don`t think the HH6 is any better in that respect, and is expensive for what it is.

I don`t think a Hive system would be any better, as its a home hub issue.

Apart from that, its a much cheaper option to try a different router.

Other routers like the one I mentioned, have a DHCP server which allows proper address reservation. You can also "cement" that in place by adding the MAC address and IP address, to the ARP binding.

That way, it will never change.

Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 28

Go to solution

@licquorice wrote:

@El-Gringo wrote:

No, as that still uses DHCP to assign the address, it just uses the same one each time. Static is an unfortunate misnomer that BT have decided to call reserved addressing. True static adresses can only be set on the device.

The TP Link address reservation seems to work reliably, I thinks its just a home hub issue, like many others.

El-Gringo
Contributor
Message 16 of 28

Go to solution

Thanks for the rapid response guys; my poor brain is in over drive now & beginning to falter & I’m trying to cook dinner at the same time! I’m technically qualified (not in this field) so learn fast but, as it always seems with the technical stuff, nothing is as it may appear! Thanks for taking the time to explain & help short circuit my thought processes into the start of understanding. I’m going away for a few days tomorrow so, hence, my frantic input this evening is due to the current bad weather but it looks like I will still be coming home to a cold house next week!

I think I will give it up as a bad job for now & buy a new, suitable (& better?) router next week so I may come back then. But, for what it’s worth, I’m definitely going to have a serious discussion with Salus & possibly even BT as I don’t think this sort of issue should arise. The way remote technology is developing surely the kit manufacturers need to get on top of this – or am I just being nieve!

Thanks to all again, a great forum service as always.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 28

Go to solution

Well, if you do decide to give the TP link one a go, based on the information you have given me (MAC Address), and the information about which ports that need forwarding, I can give you the settings for the DHCP address reservation, and the port forwarding settings.

I would not bother about using UPnP, as we now know what ports are required.

I actually keep a spare TP Link W9970 for test purposes, so I can enter those values, and take some screen shots, if you decide to go along that route.

You would be wasting your time talking to BT, as they would not have a clue what you are saying, and just refer you back to Salus.

El-Gringo
Contributor
Message 18 of 28

Go to solution

Just had the hub reset I've been waiting for & “Salus remote system” has gone off-line again so, I guess, I’ll be coming home to a cold house next Thursday! So it’ll be a new TP Link hub if I want to stick with the Salus (or any other remote control system it seems!) but I will give them a kicking for a contribution; I’m always the optimist so wish me luck!

BT & this forum in particular, have been great for me with past installation issues, with one still on-going, but I realise I probably wont get anywhere with this one as it seems to be a fundamental hub design issue – perhaps a Hub 7 will cure it!

Hopefully “Mods”, who I have every respect for, are taking posts like this on board & passing it on to those that need to know!

I’ll keep you informed of progress.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 28

Go to solution

Please ask if you need help.

Unless BT completely rewrite the software, instead of re-using existing code, with all its issues, the problem will still be there on later hubs.

The issues you describe, were also present on the home hub 1, but not the earlier BT Voyager series which were developed by BT. (I had quite a few of those) I even had one of the original "Frog" USB modems on the first 500Kbs ADSL service.

That was an improvement over the Dial-up service Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
El-Gringo
Contributor
Message 20 of 28

Go to solution

Thought I would post back just to close off this topic & offer some limited guidance to others who may also experience this problem.

I'm still not 100% certain how I did it but I finally managed to get the Salus IT500 control unit to automatically re-connect with the Salus server after BT Hub 5 resets. Basically, the changes involved port forwarding, specifying the device as a web server (HTTP), adding in the device name & assigning it a permanent IP address.

Anyway, the important thing is the Salus now works fine & I'm very pleased with the it, I think it's good value when you compare it with other internet devices, some costing nearly 3x as much!

0 Ratings